I really do love giving seeds as gifts, and coming up with creative ways to present them. While browsing my local dollar store today, I came across a multi-colored container meant to be used as a daily pill organizer, and immediately knew it would make a fun way to present a rainbow of flower seeds this spring. This DIY garden gift is fast and easy, and you can choose any seeds you like to match the colors of the container.
Rainbow Seed Tube Materials
- Tube-shaped pill organizer, multicolored (The organizer shown screws apart into different sections. Each section serves as the lid for the section beneath, with a real lid on the top clear container.)
- 7 packets of seeds, one for each color of the tube (I used white flowers for the clear section, along with red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet)
- Ribbon in color of choice
- Cardstock for card (4 X 6 inches shown)
- Paper punches in butterfly and flower shapes (optional)
- Multicolored pens
- Glue stick
Rainbow Seed Tube Directions
- Unscrew the sections of the tube.
- Carefully open each seed packet and pour the seeds into the appropriate colored portions of the tube. Work from the bottom up, since each section serves as the lid for the section beneath it, and screw the tube back together as you go.
- Tie a ribbon around the tube as shown.
- To create the card, use the paper punches to cut shapes from the fronts of the seed packets showing the flowers. (If you don’t have paper punches, you can just cut around the shapes of the flowers instead, or cut any free-form shapes you like.)
- Glue the shapes to the cardstock in the pattern of your choice using the glue stick. Use pens to label each flower so the recipient will know what the seed types are.
- If desired, write “Plant a Rainbow!” across the top of the card.
Looking for more DIY garden gifts? Try these DIY Gift Basket Ideas for Nature Lovers.