Make rainy days a little more fun with this easy umbrella craft! Use permanent adhesive vinyl to create adorable rubber duckie shapes and apply them to a clear umbrella. You can find adhesive vinyl in a variety of colors at your local craft store, or look online for cool patterns of all kinds. I found these rose patterns at Happy Crafters; you’ll find dozens of options on Etsy too.
Rubber Duckie Umbrella Craft Supplies
- Clear vinyl umbrella (I used the Totes Clear Bubble Umbrella)
- Permanent adhesive vinyl in your choice of color/s or pattern/s
- Fine-tip marker or pen
- Window cleaner and paper towels
The vinyl cutout duckies are easiest to make using a die cut machine (I used a Cricut). If you don’t have access to one, you can use stiff cardboard to create patterns and an X-acto knife to cut out the shapes instead.
Rubber Duckie Umbrella Craft Instructions – Vinyl Shapes
- Download the duckie images above.
- If using a die cut machine, follow your machine’s instructions to upload the images and size them to three inches wide each.
- If cutting the shapes by hand, size the images to 3 inches wide using the photo editing or word processing program of your choice. Print them and cut them out. Trace around the shapes on stiff cardboard and cut out the shapes to create the templates for cutting.
- Cut the duckies using your method of choice. You’ll need 8 of each image (24 ducks total). I did each duckie shape on a different pattern of vinyl.
Rubber Duckie Umbrella Craft Instructions – Assembly
- Open and clean the umbrella thoroughly with window cleaner and paper towels. Brand-new vinyl umbrellas will likely have a powdery coating which needs to be cleaned off, especially around the edges where you’ll be applying the ducks.
- Use a ruler to mark the center of each umbrella “pane”, about one inch above the bottom edge. Make a very small mark, since it will be visible from the underside of the umbrella.
- Apply a rubber duckie to the center over the mark.
- Apply two more duckies, one on each side, evenly spaced as shown.
- Repeat for each additional “pane”.
- Smooth the vinyl duckies firmly, eliminating air bubbles when possible.
Your umbrella is ready for use! Tip: Allow it to dry completely after each use before closing it up tightly.