Bird-Shaped DIY Birdhouse
This little DIY birdhouse is simple, sweet and versatile! If you can find a box that matches the approximate size needed, then you’ll be able to make this birdhouse almost before you can say “black-capped chickadee!”
- 5-in.-square box (built, reclaimed or purchased)
- Lauan for “bird” shape
- Small finish nails
- Picture-hanging hardware or wire and 2 screws
- 1-in. butt hinge
- Screen door hook and eye
- Exterior latex primer and paint
- Shellac or other outdoor varnish
- Bird template
- Screw gun or drill
- 1¼-in. to 1½-in. hole saw
- Fine-grit sandpaper
Cut one 5×5-in. square, two 5×4¾-in. rectangles and two 4¾x4½-in. rectangles out of ¼-in. plywood, clear pine, shelf board, barn board or similar.
EDITOR’S NOTE: If you are building the box, follow the instructions from step 1. If you already have a box, begin with step 6.