Chandelier Birdhouse and Planter
With just a few tweaks to a rummage sale find, you can create this elegant planter that also doubles as a birdhouse.
- 5-light chandelier with chain (search yard sales, thrift stores and Craigslist for bargains)
- Four 4½-in. terra-cotta pots
- Unfinished wood birdhouse, approximately 9x4x4-in.
- Epoxy putty
- Outdoor primer and spray paint
- Large S-hook
- 1¼-in. hardwood dowel or rod
- 2 sawhorses
Twist off bulbs, candle tubes and sockets. Discard.
Disassemble chandelier and remove all wires.
Fill all openings in chandelier with epoxy putty. Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Attach birdhouse to a bobeche using putty.
Knead putty into four pea-sized balls and place along the bottom edges of pot.
Attach to the center of a bobeche.
Repeat with remaining pots and dry according to product directions.
Hang the chandelier from the dowel and prop up with sawhorses.
Apply a coat of primer to the chandelier. Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Apply at least two coats of spray paint to the chandelier. Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
When dry, drape the chain over a tree branch and attach it to the chandelier with an S-hook.