I’ve been having a lot of fun this year using natural elements in my holiday decor. Florida has several native holly bushes that can provide berries for decoration, with the bonus that our birds love to drop by and feast on them too. With this in mind, I created this very simple DIY bird feeder decor.
Christmas Tree DIY Bird Feeder Materials:
- Wood vine openwork Christmas tree decor (I found these at Joann Fabric)
- Live holly berry sprigs (I used native Dahoon Holly and Yaupon Holly)
- Pruners or scissors
- Twine (for hanging)
- Ribbon or bow decoration (optional)
Christmas Tree DIY Bird Feeder Assembly:
- Tie a short length of twine to the top of the tree for hanging.
- Trim and tuck holly sprigs into the spaces of the tree as desired. Use twine to hold in place as necessary.
- Attach bow to top of tree, and hang for birds to find!
- You can use any simple openwork Christmas decor you can find, like stars or angels, to create similar DIY bird feeders.
- If holly berries aren’t available, you could also spread peanut butter on these and add sunflower or other seeds to provide a treat for your feathered friends this holiday season!