DIY Vegetable Garden: Making Basil Salt
Do you love basil? Take your favorite herb a step further by making basil salt to flavor your favorite dishes in from your DIY vegetable garden.
It’s hard to find an herb that is as well liked as basil. Its distinctive flavor is often used in Italian dishes such as pesto, marinara sauces, bruschetta, pizza and so much more.
Many of us save a spot in our garden to plant some basil every year where it is close by for us to is often add to our favorite dishes. Usually, the leaves of basil is torn, chopped or pureed for pesto. Today, I’d like to show you another way that you can enjoy the flavor of basil in your food by making basil salt.
Basil salt is easy to make and contains only two ingredients – fresh basil and kosher salt. You will need a food processor, baking sheet and a glass jar to store your basil salt in afterward.
Are you ready? Let’s get started:
1. You will need 1/2 cup each of fresh basil leaves and kosher salt.
2. Puree the basil and kosher together in a food processor.
3. Place the basil/salt mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes in a 225 degree oven. Baking it in the oven will dry out your basil salt. Lightly mix it up after 10 minutes in the oven and then cook for another 10 minutes.
4. After baking, put the mixture back into the food processor and blend until finely ground. Be sure your food processor is dry before adding your dried basil salt mixture.
5. Put your finished basil salt in a glass container with a tightly closed lid. That’s it!
You can use basil salt to flavor Italian sauces, sprinkle over ripe tomatoes or a pizza for extra flavor – basically, you can use it in any recipe that calls for basil and salt.
Whether you have a garden filled with basil or stop by your local grocery store or farmer’s market – the best time to make basil salt is during the summer when it is growing. Basil salt is a great, inexpensive DIY vegetable garden project. I make a lot of it in the summer and store it in a dark, dry place and give it away as gifts at Christmas.
**Basil salt is just one type of herb salt that you can make using herbs from your garden (or the grocery store). Would you like to learn how to make some other types of herb salts? Come back on Friday, when I will share with you how to make other kinds of herb salts with garlic, lavender, rosemary, sage and thyme!