Birds & Blooms magazine turns 20 this year. We wanted to find a way to celebrate, so we’re holding a Community Garden Contest to give away $1,000! In addition, we have a contest sponsor that is offering free plants to sweeten the deal. Great Garden Plants will provide up to $300 worth of fabulous blooms. They are a wonderful, online nursery with a fantastic selection of unique plants. I discovered them for their awesome variety of coneflowers (pictured above), but they also have many other great plants…flowering shrubs, perennials, Knockout roses…to choose from. Plus all their plants are big, arriving in jumbo pots. I encourage you to check them out.
We put together some tips for creating a stellar contest entry. (You can also get the official rules here.)
Good luck. We’ll announce winners by early June.
- Be creative! Tell us why you need funds for a garden, but do so in a fun way.
- We want to know how you’re going to make the most out of this $1,000, so tell us how you’ll use it.
- Love birds and butterflies? Reassure us that you want to attract birds and butterflies in your Community Garden.
- Let us know how you intend to follow up with us or track your progress. We want to be able to see that and know the money went to good use.
- Don’t focus on the sad or negative. We know that some of you will have stories about the serious need for a garden, but try to emphasize the positive.
- Let us know how your school or community will get involved.
- Is there a special person that has spearheaded efforts? Tell us about them.
- Don’t go over the word count (250). If you do, your entry will be disqualified.
For details on how to enter, visit our Contests page.