Everything You Need for Any Type of Garden
Help your garden grow with the best tools, clothing and accessories for working in any lawn, flowerbed or vegetable patch.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
DAVID MALAN/GETTY IMAGES
Whether you’re a novice gardener or a seasoned horticulturist, you’re going to need some garden gear and tools. To make garden tools research and shopping easier on you, we found the best garden implements to keep Mother Nature thriving and you comfortable. We found everything from the best garden hoses to tool sets, shovels and sun hats. Get your green thumb ready!
When purchasing garden tools and equipment, go with the highest quality that you can afford. You’ll find spending more money upfront will save loads in the long haul. Who wants to replace broken hedge trimmers every spring?
We also suggest you choose ergonomically designed products, which can mean the difference between pain-free and back-breaking weekends.
Here is our list of tools and supplies to get you through many a planting, growing and harvesting season.
ALASTAIR BIRD/GETTY IMAGES
Best Garden Hoses
Best Kink-Free Hose
Tired of hoses that bend, twist and tangle, cutting off the water supply? The Apex NeverKink Commercial Duty Hose nips that problem in the bud. How? Special straightening and anti-kink technology, along with a power coil fitting and collar, keep the hose from pinching while preventing leaking at the faucet or the nozzle end.
- Retains flexibility in cold temperatures;
- Antimicrobial protection reduces deteriorating mold and mildew.
- Is stiff and heavy.
Best Expandable Garden Hose
The J&B XpandaHose with extra-strong brass connectors and a four-layer latex pipe resists joint leaks and pipe bursting. It starts out at 25 feet and stretches to 75 feet. Made to withstand heat up to 120 F and a whopping 12 bars of water pressure, this hose’s versatile, 10-pattern nozzle (which locks in place to prevent hand fatigue) sprays water in soaker, angle, mist, center, full, flat, shower and cone streams.
- Flexible and lightweight;
- Shrinks up to save space.
- May leak at the connection;
- Suited for light gardening duties.
Best Lightweight Garden Hose
For a heavy-duty hose that won’t weigh you down, we recommend the Flexzilla Garden Lead-In Hose. The bright neon green color is simple to spot under shrubs or buried beneath grass cuttings and leaves. Weighing less than four pounds, it’s made of feather-light hybrid polymer to remain flexible, even in extreme weather conditions. It’s also easy to maneuver and carry around the yard.
- Resists kinking under pressure;
- Drinking water safe.
- Spray nozzle not included;
- The surface can grow mold and mildew.
Best Garden Hose for Watering Flowers
Don’t risk bruising petals and crushing fronds by heaving hoses through flower beds. Instead, weave the Melnor 65062-AMZ Flat Soaker Hose around the base of plants. It slowly weeps water into the soil down to the roots without causing trauma to your beautiful blooms. It comes with two extra washer filters in 25-, 50- and 75-foot lengths.
- Saves water (timer capable);
- Flattens to store in a shoebox;
- Won’t crush flowers.
- Flexible material tends to kink;
- Direct sun can damage the hose over time.
Best Garden Gloves
Best Women’s Garden Gloves
The Digz Signature High Performance Women’s Gardening Gloves are made of four-way spandex for uncompromising nimbleness. On warm days you’ll love the clever terrycloth patch on the back of the gardening glove to wipe away sweat and dirt. No need to disconnect while out in the garden; the touchscreen fingertips let you answer the phone or upload social media flower posts without removing the gloves.
- Adjustable wrist strap keeps dirt and bugs out;
- Available in lots of coastal colors and patterns;
- Touchscreen fingertips are just plain convenient.
- Tend to run small.
Best Men’s Gardens Gloves
Rain or shine, the Skydeer Water Resistant Gardening Gloves for Men are perfect for DIY light-duty tasks in and around the yard. They’re made of soft but sturdy synthetic leather to resist shrinkage when wet. Other standout features include reinforced thumb crotches and foam padded palms and knuckles for optimal protection. Buy one pair or pick up a value pack of three.
- Breathable and stretchable spandex back;
- Machine washable.
- The elastic wrists don’t block dust and debris;
- They can be stiff.
Best Kids’ Garden Gloves
Kid-friendly and adorable, the Kaygo KGKID100 Kids Garden Gloves encourage little ones (ages three to nine) to get into gardening early! The latex coating features a sandy finish for superior grip, even when wet. The gloves are perfect for outdoor chores, sports, painting and other activities. And they do a stellar job at protecting tiny hands from bug bites, thistles and splinters!
- Seamless knitted shell for comfort;
- Elastic wrists for a snug fit.
- Sizing chart not completely accurate.
Best Heavy-Duty Garden Gloves
We love the Amazon Basics Thorn Proof Gardening Gloves for their gauntlet-style that gives superior forearm coverage. Face down thorn-dotted rose bushes and sharp, spiky branches. Puncture resistant from fingertips to elbows, pull these babies on then prune and clip away!
- Flexible poly-spandex for ease of movement;
- Knuckle guards to prevent scraping.
- The extra coverage means warm hands.
Best Garden Tools
Best Garden Tool Set
An economical and smart solution for multiple yard tasks, the Fiskars Softouch Garden Tool Three Piece Set will inspire you to dig, weed, aerate and transplant without pause. Each tool features a soft, contoured handle that’s ergonomically designed to reduce wrist and hand fatigue. The kit comes with a trowel, cultivator and transplanter.
- Cast-aluminum heads resist rust;
- Handle holes for easy hanging storage;
- Affordable at around $10 per tool.
- Not designed for professional landscaping.
Best Pruning Shears
The Fiskars PowerGear2 UltraBlade Softgrip Pruner promises efficient and comfortable use via a contoured, rolling handle that fits the shape and natural motion of the hand. The pruning shears allow you to slice right through branches up to 3/4-inch thick in no time flat. They employ a modified gear and cam mechanism to get you through the toughest part of a cut with ease.
- Fully hardened bypass-style steel blade;
- The coating keeps the edges sharp longer.
- Can twist on really thick branches;
- Not designed for lefties.
The Root Assassin One Shot Garden Shovel is a killer shovel you can own for less than $40! The top blade with a wide-winged flange continues around the shovel, allowing you to carry the largest loads possible without spilling dirt all over the place. A deep digger, the extra-large footstep produces greater power so you’ll get more dirt with one scoop — all without cutting through the soles of your shoes.
- Does the job quicker;
- Fiberglass shaft resists chipping and rusting;
- Keeps dirt on the shovel, where it belongs.
- Footstep can get stuck in treads;
- A few reports of broken handles.
Best Hedge Shears
Fiskars does it again with their 23-Inch PowerGear Hedge Shears. Trim and shape everything from hedges to shrubs to tender bamboo shoots. The non-circular design enhances the trimmer’s force to make cutting almost effortless. How effortless? These shears received an Ease-of-Use Commendation from the Arthritis Foundation.
- Low-friction, rust-resistant coated blades;
- Three times easier than single-pivot tools.
- May need frequent sharpening;
- Blades can warp.
Best Garden Rake
Everyone needs a basic rake. From summer grass clippings to autumn falling foliage, the Fiskars Leaf Rake is at your service. Grab and gather up yard debris quickly with the rake’s patented curved tines design. Its extra-wide head (24 inches) moves larger quantities of leaves and other yard litter with every pass. The aluminum teardrop-shaped handle renders it as lightweight as it is sturdy.
- Durable resin tines are flexible to resist breakage;
- Extra-long shaft (67 inches) for less back strain.
- Not suited for wet or heavy yard waste;
- Rake head is on the small side.
PAULINE ST.DENIS/GETTY IMAGES
Best Garden Clothing
Best Slip-on Garden Shoes for Women
Cute and darn tough, the Sloggers Women’s Waterproof Rain and Garden Shoe is an Amazon best seller for a lot of reasons. Choose from an array of outdoor-themed patterns, from pansies to hummingbirds to paw prints. The insoles of these garden shoes provide all-day comfort and the deep-lug tread gives superior traction. Wash the car or walk the dog on dewy mornings. They don’t call them “sloggers” for nothing.
- Odorless, medical-grade and made from 100 percent recyclable plastic;
- Hose them off to easily clean.
- Heavy and not much arch support.
Best Slip-on Garden Shoes for Men
Don’t worry about sliding around while you work in the mud and muck, Skechers for Work Men’s Balder Slip Resistant Work Clog are OSHA-compliant for slip resistance in wet conditions. The shoes feature a rubber sole for durability and a low-top arch and shock-absorbing padded footbed for comfort. Best yet, ventilating ports at the medial sides mean no more burning feet in the hot sun.
- Lightweight and flexible upper;
- Available from sizes 5-1/2 to 15 (extra-extra wide).
- Some parts are glued.
Best Sunhat for Women
Look good while protecting your face, neck and shoulders from harmful UV rays with the Packable Extra Large Brim Floppy Sun Hat. It’s reversible — white on one side, floral print on the other — so it’s like having two hats in one! Featuring a chin rope for windy days, it has two removable brims — one smaller, and one that’s extra wide to throw some serious shade!
- Soft and foldable for travel;
- UPF 50+ sun protection.
Best Sunhat for Men
Made of 100 percent moisture-wicking and quick-dry nylon, the Super Wide Brim Sun Hat is an oversized waterproof bucket hat that can take a beating. Providing blazing sun protection in your backyard jungle, the almost six-inch floppy brim and ventilating mesh panels keep you cool on the hottest and most humid days.
- Pull-on closure and chin strap;
- Complete UV ray protection (50+).
- Can lose its shape when soaked;
- Doesn’t fit extra-large heads.
Best Garden Apron
Despite the name, ApronMen Premium Canvas Apron is a hard-working apron that fits anyone who’s 5-foot 2-inches or taller. The cotton apron is coated with wax to render it nearly impervious to moisture and dirt. Plus, it’s super durable thanks to its reinforced double-stitching and sturdy brass grommets and rivets. The front features multiple pockets to keep shears, twine and your phone close at hand. Psst—here’s how to make a DIY apron for gardening.
- Cross back-strap design takes pressure off neck;
- Adjustable leather straps.
- Hand wash only.