How to Make a Pallet Bench for Your Patio
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Need a place to sit and relax in the backyard while you admire your flower beds? Get creative and repurpose wood from pallets to build a pallet bench.
Mark Derse/Country Woman
Gather pallet wood and tools to build this pallet bench for your patio or garden.
Pallet Bench Materials
- Dismantle pallets, using a jigsaw to cut around nails to preserve planks if necessary.
- Using a miter saw, cut down best planks to 18-in. pieces for bench seat.
- Cut 2 bottom pallet boards to desired length of bench. Arrange seat planks perpendicular over boards and screw into place.
- Cut 4 boards 18-in. long and 4 boards the desired height of the bench sides. Using 2 of each length, construct 2 rectangular sides 18-in. wide with remaining wood. (Height of sides is as desired.) Screw pieces together into an open rectangle, inserting seat about 18 in. from bottom. Screw to sides to secure.
- Cut a back rest from another pallet board the length of the pallet bench and 2 short support boards. Screw support boards to back of sides, overhanging the edge by several inches. Screw back to support boards.
- Smooth any rough spots on pallet bench with sandpaper. Brush stain as desired. Dry thoroughly. Finish with weather-protecting sealant.
Next, learn how to make a vertical pallet garden.