How to Make a Pallet Bench for Your Patio
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
Need a place to sit and relax in the backyard while you admire your flower beds? Get creative and repurpose wood from pallets to build a pallet bench.
Mark Derse/Country Woman
Gather pallet wood and tools to build this pallet bench for your patio or garden.
Pallet Bench Materials
- Dismantle pallets, using a jigsaw to cut around nails to preserve planks if necessary.
- Using a miter saw, cut down best planks to 18-in. pieces for bench seat.
- Cut 2 bottom pallet boards to desired length of bench. Arrange seat planks perpendicular over boards and screw into place.
- Cut 4 boards 18-in. long and 4 boards the desired height of the bench sides. Using 2 of each length, construct 2 rectangular sides 18-in. wide with remaining wood. (Height of sides is as desired.) Screw pieces together into an open rectangle, inserting seat about 18 in. from bottom. Screw to sides to secure.
- Cut a back rest from another pallet board the length of the pallet bench and 2 short support boards. Screw support boards to back of sides, overhanging the edge by several inches. Screw back to support boards.
- Smooth any rough spots on pallet bench with sandpaper. Brush stain as desired. Dry thoroughly. Finish with weather-protecting sealant.
Next, learn how to make a vertical pallet garden.