Top Hat DIY Plant Gift
Wrap a plant for a festive holiday present with this DIY plant gift that looks like a snowman's hat!
Looking for a creative way to wrap a plant gift this Christmas? Try this easy DIY craft, and your recipient can use the top hat as a display throughout the holiday season!
Top Hat DIY Plant Gift Supplies
- Paper-Mache Caroller’s Hat (found at JoAnn’s)
- Coping saw or razor knife
- Sharp scissors
- Black acrylic paint
- Black electrical tape
- Floral embellishment
- Small metal pail
- Hot glue or craft glue
Top Hat DIY Plant Gift Assembly
- Carefully use the coping saw to cut off the very top of the hat as shown. You can also use a razor knife to make the initial cut, and then finish with sharp scissors.
- Glue the top of the hat over the opening at the bottom as shown.
- Paint the hat black and allow to dry. It took several coats for me to get even coverage, but the paint dried very quickly.
- Edge the top of the opening with black electrical tape. If you manage to make a very even cut, you may not need to do this, but I had some rough edges and this seemed the easiest way to camouflage them.
- Glue ribbon around the hat and add a floral embellishment of your choice.
- Place a small plant into the metal pail. Place the pail into the finished hat.
IMPORTANT: This hat is not waterproof, and any plant in it should be watered with extreme care. The metal pail will keep the water from seeping through the cardboard, but any water that splashes onto the rest of the hat can do damage.
Looking for more ideas for DIY plant gift wrapping? Try this easy idea using cookie tins!