4 Ways to Make a DIY Hummingbird Feeder
It's easier than you think to make a DIY hummingbird feeder. You probably have the supplies already. Get crafting and then watch for hummingbirds.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Courtesy Marcie Daniels
DIY Hummingbird Feeder Ideas
Creating your own sugar water feeder for hummingbirds is incredibly simple, and if you’re crafty, you’ve probably already built one or maybe a dozen! Even if you’re not a DIY’er these projects are easy enough for anyone to do. Here’s some of our favorite DIY hummingbird feeder ideas to get you started.
Confetti Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Use the saucer base from an inexpensive store-bought plastic feeder and attach it to a pretty wine bottle. Use glass paint to recreate the popular “confetti glass” look. Add replacement bee guards if needed.
- Clean your bottle thoroughly inside and out. Remove all labels. Wipe down the bottle with rubbing alcohol to remove glue residue. Rinse thoroughly with water and allow to dry.
- Using glass paint, apply drops and lines in scattered patterns around the bottle.
- Stand bottle upright and allow paint to dry for at least 8 hours.
- Super glue a metal corner bracket to the bottom of the bottle and allow to dry. Tie twine through the bracket to create a hanger.
- Fill your bottle with hummingbird sugar water and screw the base into place. Turn upright carefully over the sink (in case of any unforeseen leaks).
- Hang your DIY wine bottle hummingbird feeder outdoors.
Homemade PVC Hummingbird Feeder
Hummingbirds will love to sip sugar water from these tiny PVC pipes. Decorate the feeders with your favorite colors and artificial flowers to catch the birds’ attention. Once your feeder is in place, rotate the pipe up so the hummingbird food doesn’t spill out!
Learn how to make a DIY hummingbird mister birdbath.
Birds & Blooms
Glass Bottle Homemade Hummingbird Feeder
Here’s another way to make a hummingbird feeder from a glass bottle. All you need is a hummingbird feeder tube and stopper attachment to get started.
Build a DIY hummingbird swing for tiny fliers to perch on.