Zinnia

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds Zinnia

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Dundrumgal Dundrumgal 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

When do you pinch back you zinnia seedlings?

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5110662 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

This post implies that it should be done, huh, Bette?  I have never done that before.  Maybe that is what I did wrong when I tried to start them indoors before.   I’ll be watching this to see the answers.  ;)

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5110663 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

I’ve never pinched zinnias.  They just seem to branch out all by themselves.

#5110684 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I have never pinched mine either and they seem to bush out.  I have learned that with the Magellan variety that if you pick up the 1st bud the rest of the blooms will be bigger and also encourages more blooms.  (I usually wait until right before it opens and put it in a vase)

Bette, it seems I am flunking out of seed starting….I’ve had to say no to both of your threads today….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5110785 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Thanks OK Charlene.  We will give an other chance if you are a good girl.  I guess pinching the first bud out was what I was thinking of that I had read before.  The zinnias that are doing good are doing really good but others just seem to keel over.

photo signature_3.gif

#5110903 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Bette, that is a good question.  My Zahara zinnias I planted last weekend popped up to one inch in a week.  Problem is that they are leggy….nice first two branches, but the stems look like they have no life.  I think it’s time to bring out the lights.  All I can say is that mini greenhouse works wonders.  I have never seen seeds germinate so fast.  Now to get them nice and healthy……

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5110905 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

The only zinnias I start in the house are the profusion and I have never pinched them. The taller ones I direct sow July 4 for late summer blooms.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5110920 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

A lot of good info here.  I direct sowed them outside and that worked for me.  I will do that again this year.

wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

My soil isn’t really conducive to sowing outside.

Stella zinnias have a tendency to get leggy when they first germinate.  I transplant the early and bury the stem as much as I can.  It works for me.

photo signature_3.gif

#5111083 Report Abuse
    Dundrumgal
    Dundrumgal
    Participant

I have never pinched my Zinnias either.  They seem to thrive in  the sunny parts of my yard  I cut them constantly for   display    in my home,     maybe this helps provide more blooms.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.