Yard Ornament Veggies for the humming birds

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made Yard Ornament Veggies for the humming birds

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by ili Z.9 ili Z.9 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Garry
    Participant

These are some of the hand caved and turned humming bird feeders I made in 2013  for art/craft shows and art galleries that I am in. They are made with White Cedar. I used water based dyes and sparayed minimum of five coats of exterior varnish. I have more ideas for this year.

Veggie Humming Bird Feeders

Additional photos can be seen at the link below.

http://www.woodworksbygarry.com/Products/BirdFeeders/HummingBirdFeeders/VeggieHummingBirdFeeders.html

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5101727 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Very nice Garry,  I love your work shop so neat and tidy.  Have you been on B&B before, if not   Welcome from, Rockford, Michigan.

I don’t think I would put down my email address,   anyone can get on these sites.

Carol

#5101784 Report Abuse

Garry
    Participant

Thanks Carol, the shop is not always so tidy. It has been quite somw time since I have posted on this forum. I browse ocassionally because I enjoy the photos and conversations but seldom have anything to say that I think would interest the community.

Garry

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5101951 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Garry,  Just stop in anytime we are always looking for new people to chat with.  I am on garden chat, a lot, I also like the bird topics.

I need to look up Engadine, Mi.  I have no idea where that is.

Carol

#5101957 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Very  nice, Gary!  Why dont you retire now & just do that?  We know you are very handy & creative!  May I ask how much they go for?  Might buy one if not too terribly expensive!

#5102190 Report Abuse

Garry
    Participant

Carol,

I am in the Upper Peninsula about 50 miles west of the Mackinac Bridge, just 1 mile off of US-2

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5102204 Report Abuse

Garry
    Participant

Margba,

All of the Humming Bird feeders are $58.00 except for the Egg Plant which is $67.00 because of the extra carving time on the top. I do not have any at this time but two of the galleries that I am in still have some left. They will ship them to you as well. I will not be making any until spring because the doors and windows need to be open when I work with cedar.

Let me know if you are interested and I will give you both of galleries information and thanks for asking.

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5102269 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

They are very pretty but I have a couple of questions.  Do they actually attract hummers?  How do you fill them ?  How can you tell when they are empty?  What about cleaning them?  Doesn’t the liquid eventually rot the wood?

That was more than a couple wasn’t it?  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5102548 Report Abuse

Garry
    Participant

Yes Gayle they do attract humming birds. It is the little red tip on the end of the feeder tuble that attracts them as seen in the photo below.

There is a glass container inside the wood with a soft rubber plug which the feeder stem runs through. Just pop out the plug which is at the end of the glass container, clean it out with a bottle brush, fill the container with liquid food and gently push the plug back in.
    The liquid does not come into contact with the wood. Two reasons I carve them out of cedar one cedar is rot and bug resistant and two it is very light compared to other woods.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like

Red Pepper feeder

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5102701 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

That’s beautiful Garry.  I did think you were in the U.P.  Pretty cold, I bet.

Carol

#5103242 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Thank You.  I couldn’t see that feeding tip in the 1st picture (or just didn’t notice it).  Now they make sense.   LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5130150 Report Abuse
    cbrooks
    cbrooks
    Participant

I love the veggie idea must try it soon!

#5130151 Report Abuse
    cbrooks
    cbrooks
    Participant

p.s. I love how neat your wood shop is!

#5130243 Report Abuse

Garry
    Participant

Thanks for the compliments. The shop is not always neat and tidy though.

Garry

Garry Smith
    Engadine, Michigan
    www.woodworksbygarry.com

#5131108 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I’m so glad I stopped by this thread.  What a beautiful way to feed hummingbirds.  I can’t even imagine anyone thinking up such a feeder.  Love all the veggies…Nice bright colours to beautify anyone’s yard.

By the way, welcome from Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.