White sage and bees

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As White sage and bees

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by narnian narnian 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Owllady
    Participant

Hi peeps :) When I moved back to Western New York from North Dakota, I brought a few white sage plants. They’ve adapted fairly well to the more humid environment but I’ve noticed something pretty peculiar this year.

I realized some of the leaves appeared to be missing some of their fuzzy white covering and I was mystified as to why that was happening. One day I saw a smallish bee land on a white sage leaf – I thought she was chewing on it, then realized she was removing the white covering with her mouth parts. She rolled it underneath herself in a neat ball, then flew off with it!

What kind of bee was that, why did she take only the leaf covering, and what did she do with it?? I’d say she was about the size of a honeybee but with a bit more black on her; smaller wings too, I think.

Life is fascinating if you look around!

Thanks for any help.

Marcia

#5267580 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Welcome to you, Owllady!  I cannot tell you anything about the bee, but I am fascinated with the white sage.  I can’t say that I’ve ever seen white sage.  I hope someone else can answer your question.

Wow…that was a big move from ND to NY!

Please check in to other forums.  Most of us congregate in Garden chat and have so many flower, weather, and other conversations.  I think you will enjoy it.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5267599 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I hope somebody knows the answer to this as I’m curious about it too.  If no response here try posting it on the Garden Chat.  Somebody might know over there

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5268404 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Marcia….I think I would post this under Bugs and Butterflies…there are some folks there that are pretty knowledgeable!

…Just looked this up on a bee website and found this info…

Some bees will scrape the fuzz off furry leaves, bring balls of this fuzz back to their nests, and create plugs that are wads of compact fluff. These can be extremely white and look almost fake.

(I assume to keep predators out)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.