Where do birds go at night? (This is the BIRD QUESTION Week 2)

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Where do birds go at night? (This is the BIRD QUESTION Week 2)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by theLark_IN_5 theLark_IN_5 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

trudy1180
    Participant

Will post the answer next week.

#4907046 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Woodpeckers go into holes, pheasant/quail, etc. sleep on the ground, and sparrows/finches, etc. roost in trees and shrubs.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#4913597 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant

It all depends on their personality. Some goes home for a quite night all by themselves while other gather together in a large group. Then depending on the season other hang out all night hunting to provide for the young that are home driving Mom crazy. Then there are the young teenagers that loves to stay up and sing and entertain all night.  :)

photo larkiegif.gif

#4915770 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Sounds to me like Junior has it pretty well right. Bobwhites (quail) will spend the night on the ground. If fact Bobwhites gather in a group and forum a circle all facing out to watch for predators. Blue birds do use next boxes to roost. In winter several will pile into one box at night to keep warm. I also know some birds roost in trees and bushes. I have been out at night walking Daisy and as we walk by a small tree and scare several birds out. Well not sure who is the most startled when they fly out, them or me lol.

Community Team Member

#4998777 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Of course, a few come out at night, owls, whipporwills,  probably a few other species.  Sometimes i hear of hummingbirds coming out at night. Anyone else know of other nighttime birds?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by margba margba.
    #5004967 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Here is the answer.  Most birds roost (sleep) in the same sorts of habitat in which they spend their days. Cavity nesting birds tend to sleep in roosting holes (or nest boxes); downy, hairy, and red-belly woodpeckers build roosting holes in the fall (which eventually become nesting cavities for other birds and animals). some water birds roost in their element; however, many herons roost in trees, as do pheasants; other species roost in shrubbery, out of reach of predators.

Birds that are gregarious during their nesting season (herons, ibises, gulls and terns, swifts) often sleep in large groups. Some roosts may contain a single species, but they are frequently mixed.

Horned larks, partridges, and quail roost on the ground; ruffed grouse are known to roost in snowbanks for warmth in winter.

#5005047 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Just wanted to say hello to you, Trudy… and to thank you for this post…

Linda Z

#5005108 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Thank you Linda.

#5005147 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Thanks Trudy.  I wondered if their winter nights differed much from summer.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5011950 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant

Anyone else know of other nighttime birds?

We had a mockingbird stay awake most of the night singing during its courtship season one year.

<hr />

photo larkiegif.gif

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.