Where are the Orioles?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Where are the Orioles?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

GunGyrl
    Participant

I have had Orioles in my yard and fed them for years. This year I put out feeders and had one Oriole come in but did not return and have not had any others. Could Robins be a factor? I have many more Robins in the yard this year. Also, nearly no hummingbirds. I love the Orioles, one year I even had a mother bird bring her 3 babies to the feeder, what a special experience.

#5264844 Report Abuse
    birdbug
    birdbug
    Participant

Hi GunGyrl !

My Baltimore Orioles have been visiting the grape jelly and sugar water feeders in my backyard since early May. They’ve been coming here for years and I love watching & listening to them

This year though unfortunately the sparrows have found the grape jelly too and seem to love it, but the Orioles still get their fair share too (I put out a 1 lb jar every day). Besides them, the Robins, Blue Jays and Catbirds also eat the jelly so it’s a very busy area.

Do your neighbors have grape jelly feeders that may be attracting ‘your’ Orioles ? I sure hope that they show up….I don’t think that the Robins would interfere with the Orioles feeding.

Good Luck !

Mary Ann (Birdbug)

#5265135 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I’ve had exactly one Oriole and he didn’t stay but a few seconds, shouldn’t complain because I very seldom get them. Didn’t get a single rose-breasted grosbeak this spring.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.