When do you transplant a spider plant?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As When do you transplant a spider plant?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

What started out to be a small plant (given to me by my DD), is growing very nicely.  It’s the first spider plant I did not kill.  The pot is about 5” wide, but I wonder if I would like it to get bigger, do I need  to transplant it into a larger pot…about 8 to 10 inches wide.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5129835 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Stella if it is a spider plant with all the little spider plants hanging down from it ..they need to be in a hanging basket…don’t know if there are more than one kind of spider plant or even if we are talking about the same thing.   I would go ahead and plant it in larger pot.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5129886 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

I have many of these plants as they grow like crazy! I have them hanging all around the edges of my porch and they have a lot of trailing baby spiders which is a good thing. I just grow mine until it looks too large for the current pot and plop it into another one and no problems. If you want to make more simply cut off  however many baby spiders you want and stick in a glass of water and within two weeks mine are ready to be potted up. The spider plants also grow in just water as long as some part of it remains above water. The roots grow really fast. Hope this helps you!

#5130528 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I would not transplant it since they need to be root bound before sending out babies (or so I’ve been told).  I would just take some of the babies and start them in a larger pot….hanging pot is the best. Is yours the variegated or the solid green?   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5131657 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

It’s the variegated spider plant.  It does have babies, and I would like to leave the babies on the mother plant.  So does that mean I can now transplant it?

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5131821 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Like Charlene said they like to be root bound. I would leave it and keep it healthy.  Then in a year or 2 start some of the little ones.  Then I would put 3-5 in a small pot and let it grow. Then in 3-4 years you can put it in a bigger pot. It takes time to grow a big plant. But having multiples in a pot works best.

I had a friend that I visited each week in the ‘homes’. She had a beautiful aqua pot in a hanger. I potted up that new group and put in her pot. It is the prettiest one I ever had. It hung south of her large east window. It had over 25 little plants and was beautiful. Then she got sick and was in hospital and the plant suffered – but still better than my current one.

Be patient and I think in 2 years it will be big. But it takes time.

Another idea is to start 3-5 of the little plants in water. Then add them to that parent plant in a larger pot. Crowded it the secret. JMO and expirence.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5131856 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.