What's up, 7/10?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What's up, 7/10?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I have zukes & cukes!  Other than those 2 veggies I just mentioned, along w/ my herbs, parsley, etc, not much else is ready!

#5262529 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

Today we thinned out the beets and we are having steamed beet tops for supper. Yum

#5262535 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Albertagran, yumm!  Do you ever make roasted beets?  I never have tried that but want to!  I am betting roasted beets are fantastic!  Do you eat the beet top greens?  Once again, I never tried that but want to.  I have heard lots of folks eat the beet tops!

#5262542 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

Yes we love beet tops. I roast beets for a salad that I make. I drizzle them with oil and balsalmic vinegar, wrap in foil and roast at 400 for about 30 minutes, depending on the size. Then I cool them and peel the skins off. For the salad I just put the sliced beets on a bed of lettuce , then some toasted walnuts or pecans, drizzle with more balsalmic vinegar and dot with goat cheese.  It is delicious. I had it at a restaurant in Las Vegas and I asked the waiter how it was made and he called out the chef to show me. Roasted beets are good just sliced with butter, salt and pepper too as a veggie. I grow a lot of beets because we eat them as a veggie, I make beet pickles and also I grate bags of beets to make borscht with in the winter.

#5262544 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, yummm!  Thanks for the tips!  Definitely will try some of this!  I love pickled beets!

#5262850 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Best I can say is the weeds are up.  Haven’t had any time to weed.  Did check the plots the other day and the peppers are blooming and setting like crazy.  Have one almost ready to pick (a bell Pepper).

Haven’t been down to check the green beans  on the lower level here but from the deck it appears they are starting to blossom.  The carrots at the blots are up but not as many as there should be.  The beets are doing fine there and I do love beet greens also.  Onions at the blots are starting to bulb up nicely and the celery is looking good.

In the big garden the cukes and zucchini are up.  Zucchini is not what it should be.  Tomatoes are holding there own and growing.  Have a number of small tomatoes on the patio tomatoes however.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5263183 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Sorry.  Haven’t been by here of late.

Marg – thanks for starting this on Thursday.

I harvested three kinds of peppers today.  One of them was a gift plant that I didn’t know anything about: Jimmy Nardello peppers.  I discovered I should have let it go red, that it’s  a sweet pepper with tons of flavor.  I have many more on the two plants so I’ll let them go red.

I have an eggplant that is getting nice size and not bothered by the bugs like in the past.  Tomatoes are plentiful but still all green.  Small cukes on the vines.  Squash is flowering but not the right kind.  Can never remember which is the male and which the female flower.  Female is the one that’s on the squash, right?

I pulled up all the garlic this morning and its laying out to dry now.  I got some huge ones this year.  I’m pleased with that.

I’m glad I planted two more hills of yellow squash because the one I’d planted earlier is dying due to vine borers.

Maxine.  I gave up growing beets.  Didn’t work for me.  I do like to roast them too.  But I peel them first, dice them and them roast them with diced potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, parsnips, whatever other root vegetable I have on hand.

Marg – young beet greens are very tender to eat even raw.  My mom would make red beet eggs.  That’s a real Pa Dutch dish.

Later!

photo signature_1.gif

#5263521 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

We must have the perfect climate for beets, because I always have such luck every year. The carrots arn’t doing too good this year, but the cukes are abundant. Every year seems to be different. Today I picked our second big ripe tomato (Manitoba Bush) and I am BBQing burgers tonight so that tomato is going to be good on them.

#5263847 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Steep, yes, red beet eggs are even a side in some of the rsstaurants around here!  I have some tomatoes hanging on their plant that are almost red ripe!  Hope this next round of severe tstorms wont do my almost ripe toms in!  Wanted to let them get a little riper before picking!  My green bells are starting to go to fruition!

Wsiting for more storms that could be on the extreme side!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.