What's Up?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What's Up?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

I’ve got beans.  Saw them last night when I showed Dan the two trees that we need to move come Fall. The bean plants that were supposed to be bush variety are producing.  I will pick what I see tonight for dinner.

When do you pick in your garden?  I usually pick in the evening before dinner and try to just take what I will use.  When things start producing more than what I can use I have to pick what’s ready.  No ripe tomatoes yet.

I have two open small beds that I will try some lettuce in.  The last sowing of lettuce didn’t take with the heat we had.  These were the beds with the garlic.

Loving this cool weather but not sure some of the veggies will like it.  How’s the weather where you are?

photo signature_1.gif

#5265304 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steep, I try to pick in the cool of the morning when everything has dried from the morning dew or in the evening after the sun is off the garden and before the dew.  It is not good to touch the plants if they are wet.  Also picking in the heat of the day the vegetables will be stressing and not as good.  I do prefer mornings for the freshest best flavor.  Now asparagus and corn are another subject, they go from the garden to the pot.

I went to the plots after work last night just to take a look and was embarrassed at the weeds that were in the gardens.  I am a big complainer when folks don’t take care of their plots and mine looked as bad as many of the worst offenders.  I ended up weeding both blots before coming home.  My bell peppers are doing great.  They are loaded with peppers and have more blossoms that haven’t yet set.  The beets and carrots are plugging along but they will do well late into the fall so should have a pretty good crop there. Celery is forming up nicely and the onions are about the size of ping pong balls now and are showing no signs of going to seed.  The jalapeno and sweet banana peppers are just starting to set.  The plants are not as healthy as the bells are.  Not sure why.  Basil is almost ready to be pinched back so they will bush out.  Pulled what few radishes that I had planted there but they seemed a little tough. Will plant more seed shortly.

As far as the home front garden is concerned.  Green beans are full of blossoms so should be getting beans shortly.  The tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli etc. will know more about once I get them hopefully all weeded tomorrow.

Steep, I would think you could start lettuce as late as late August or early September.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5265421 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

That is great, Steep!  Bette, wonderful info you just shared!  Yes, I try not to pick early mornings or midday unless its not that hot out!  I have green bell peppers starting to come in!  They are not that hig just yet!  Also have a few tomatoes about ready to get picked, cukes, as always!  Seems like my zukes are taking forever!  Sigh!  Eggplants are coming along!  JBs are really going to town on the eggplant leaves!  Grrrr!  What do I do?

#5265465 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

This afternoon I picked baby beets and tops and some small potatoes. Going to be a weird supper tonight – beets with tops, potatoes with dill and mac and cheese  (I had it in the freezer and just warming it up. Also I picked some cherry tomatoes. I love this time of year. Margba I ended up with 1 zucchini.  I think the birds got them. However even 1 zucchini will probably be enough.

#5265488 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

I picked 3 lovely green peppers, a cucumber and a handful of beans.  We had them all for dinner tonight.  Yum!  Love getting those veggies so fresh.

photo signature_1.gif

#5265598 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I have been picking Sugar Snaps and I see my Jalapenos and Hungarian Peppers are ready to be picked.  Tons of green tomatoes.  Green Pepper plants are questionable.  Some have set and others have not.  Bush beans have their blooms.  Zucchini, Spaghetti Squash, Corn, pickles, watermelon and cantaloupe are doing okay.  One thing that surprised me, is how well the Cabbage, Hubbard Squash and Brussel Sprouts are doing.  They must really like it out back in the new garden.  Onions and potatoes have really taken off.  Stawberries are not doing well at all.  I think I will have to buy some plants for next year.

Today will be the first day that I really can get in there and spend some time.  I had a family emergency and was out of town a little over a week and this was my first week back to work.  Just been to exhausted after work to really do anything.

The only herb I did was parsley.  We just ran out of time, with setting fence poles and installing the fencing once it dried up.  Then a mad dash to get all the seedlings planted.

I always like to pick in the morning for the reasons Bette had mentioned.

#5265659 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

I was out this morning picking more tomatoes…..I love this time of year, don’t you? They are gorgeous. Cukes are just about ready to flower. I was late getting them in and wasn’t sure whether I would have any but they are abundant.  Happy, happy, happy.

#5266004 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I love this time of yr, too, Albertagran!  I brought in a cuke today when out in my garden but decided not to eat it, as it had something weird looking on it!  Lol!  I have eaten & brought in many cukes so far, however.  My zukes are sure being slow.  Tomatoes havent been coming in too fast but some at least!  Peppers are slow in coming also!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by margba margba.
    #5266107 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Well I’m still getting squash, cucmbers and the tomatoes are slowly ripening. I have a feeling soon as our unusually cool temps go back up and we get sun again my tomatoes are going to cut loose.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.