What's in your garden basket this morning.

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What's in your garden basket this morning.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

belle_pa
    Participant

We have sugar peas,  green beans,  yellow and zucchini squash,  lettuce and onions now.  No tomatoes yet.  The dill looks wonderful and basil and parsley add flavor to our veggies.

Will be fun to read what you are enjoying and any new recipes.  We tried a zucchini, cheddar corn bread yesterday with added dill.  Tasted wonderful!

#5264631 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

zucchini cornbread ( want to share cause it’s so good and easy to make. I used fresh dill in blender. )

1 1/2 cups zucchini, coarsely chopped

• <span> 1 cup milk </span>
    • <span> 1/2 cup onion, chopped </span>
    • <span> 2 eggs </span>
    • <span> 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled </span>
    • <span> 1 1/4 cups cornmeal </span>
    • <span> 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour </span>
    • <span> 1 tablespoon dried dill </span>
    • <span> 4 teaspoons baking powder </span>
    • <span> 1 teaspoon salt </span>
    • <span> 1/8 teaspoon pepper </span>
    • <span> 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded </span>

<div class=”section clrfix directions”>
    <h2>Directions</h2>

1. <span>Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Well grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and place it into the oven while it preheats. (can use a 9×9 Pyrex pan but cast iron works better).</span>
    2. <span>Place the zucchini, milk, onion, eggs, and melted butter into a blender, and blend until thoroughly mixed and the zucchini and onion have been chopped into very small pieces.</span>
    3. <span>Mix together the cornmeal, flour, dill, baking powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Pour the zucchini mixture into the cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine.</span>
    4. <span>Carefully pour the batter into the hot greased skillet, smooth it out with a spoon, and bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 – 40 minutes.</span>

</div>

#5264711 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I looked to see what you have. Nice.

I have 2 lettuce late plants – for my resident Snail, Sam.  I brought him in and made a terarium for him last AUG. Was so hot and I had moved the container.

He had been a fun pet. A book at our library 2 months later  – The sound of the wild snail eating.

The other day I had a little chunk of lettuce with a little,1/4” inch worm on it – put in terarium and he is growing.

Then I want out and sprayed – and tried to wipe off all of the eggs.

2 days later there were more- tinier and I wiped them out. Brought the  pot in and put in window and next day had another to wipe out and eggs to clear off. Think I have them all.

A suppose I should have used alcohol that second time and not just soapy water.

I learned snails are bisexual – and he has had 3 ages of little snails from those eggs. I have it by my computer so I can look over and check on them. My computer is about as slow as the snails. LOL

I have eaten all of my green onions and the old parsley I set out in garden from 2 winter containers – are heading out. Have one little plant inside and more seed planted.  Have chives in a pot that was in all winter.

I garden all year round! Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5264726 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Just came in from the garden where I picked green beans, yellow squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers and bell peppers. I am loving summer just like always and love the fresh veggies I am getting.

Belle its good to see you again. This poor veggie garden board has very little action and the more people we can get to post the better. Hope you’ll be around a lot more often.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5264731 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

My basket had lettuce and cucumbers last night when I picked there.  Haven’t ventured in there today.  Will do it tomorrow to see if there are any beans or ripening tomatoes yet.  I know there will be peppers and cucumbers.

photo signature_1.gif

#5264806 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Thank you for the welcome.  Can’t wait to tell my gd’s about the pet inch worm and snail.  My dh and I are with the grandchildren while dh is recovering from a stroke that paralyzed his left side.

We have a very large garden patch and another that is sweet corn and pumpkins.  I do not do much of the gardening but enjoy watching it grow and preparing the produce.  Had to quit my Visiting Angel job to care for my dh now.

#5264925 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I Belle so nice to see you here.  So sorry to hear about your DH.  Hope he is progressing with recovery.

Your garden sounds great. I have yet to get anything from mine except weeds.  I do have some radishes to pull if I ever get down to the community plots to work on them again.  Green beans are loaded with blossoms but don’t think I have a blossom on my tomatoes yet but there are a few small tomatoes on my patio tomatoes.  With temps in the 50′s and low 60′s every night things aren’t growing very fast and I planted everything real late so who knows what I will get.  Plan on spending Saturday and Sunday working on the vegetable gardens since I have both days off from work.

Steve, how are the Italian Paste doing?  Sounds like your garden is providing well for you as usual.

Steep, your veggies sound wonderful.  I do wish I was picking some vegetables about now.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5264952 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Good morning!  Hi Belle!  So happy to see you again!  Sorry also about your dh!  Hope its not too tough on you!  Everyone’s gardens sound awesome!  I just have cukes & a few of my tomatoes cc oming in right now!  I am getting a banner crop of cukes this yr.  Last couple of yrs, this wasnt so, sad to say.  Everyone around here, incl Amish, got some sort of cuke bore on their cuke plants.  Doesnt seem to be the case this yr!  My green bell peppers seem to be coming in slowly, but the fruit is forming.  Just wish I had started beans!  Always next yr!

#5264955 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Thanks for that recipe, Belle!  I love cornbread!

#5265005 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Margba,  some of the best green beans I ever raised I did in a late fall garden.  I only had a few bean seeds in a small package.  It only made a short row but did they ever produce.  It seemed the cool fall rainy weather made them tender and crisp and plentiful.

#5265053 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Bette my garden is really dry and not looking as good as I’d like. The Italian paste tomatoes are looking as good as anything else. Since I haven’t ever grown them before I have no idea how big the tomatoes are supposed to get  but I am guessing some of them are nearly ready to ripen. I keep watching and waiting.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5265125 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Steve, you might put don some of that mushroom soil Belle Pa suggested to your dd.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.