What veggies can I plant in August for Fall?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What veggies can I plant in August for Fall?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

And when?

#5265424 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Oooh, good question! What gardening zone are you in, margba? That will help with the “when” part of the question. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s suggestions on this!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5265441 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi Jill!  I am in zone 6, scPA!  Hey, maybe we can make it a “sticky” type of quest here, you could rephrase it, remove this post of mine!  Thanks!

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by margba margba.
    #5265627 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Daddy always broadcast turnips on the ground where onions, radishes, lettuce were over.   We loved our turnips.

I do save onion sets in fridge from the spring and plant them in fall for fresh green onions.

#5266105 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Marg I plant my broccoli and cabbage in mid to late August. I’m in zone 7 so you would probably want to plant a little sooner than I do for a fall crop. I usually have broccoli by Thanksgiving. I also sow lettuce in very early September. All those crops can take some froze and even freezes. If you can keep the worms off your broccoli and cabbage till after a couple of freezes you won’t have to worry with them when you harvest. I know they are especially a problem with  broccoli. Also I would think if you grow cauliflower (which I don’t) you could plant it about the same time as the other  cole crops.

My grandparents always grew turnips and I do know they planted them in the fall as well but since I don’t eat them I never took an interest in when or exactly how to plant them. I do remember the turnips seeds were sown.

Belle thats a great idea about planting onion sets in the fall for green onions. Wish I had saved me some this spring now.  :-(

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5266192 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions!  I guess there are brussel sprouts & spinach, too! I guess I will gave my work cut out for me as far as getting some sort of veggie garden going at the new place when I move there later this wk!  Also there are no flowers there!

#5266237 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Marg if you need flowers for this year and if theres a Lowes near you  go out to their garden center and check out the clearance rack. They usually have some flowers and plants there marked way down and most of the time all they need is a little water and care.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5267415 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Also kale is SO good to plant, you could go on and sow that in the next few weeks as well as some green beans. I’m in zone 6 too. I’m jealous of Steve’s temps, I’ve been freezing here today.

#5273040 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I have to get planning & planting again!  :-)  just I have to be aware that there are deer around here, whereas there were no deer problems at my old place!

#5273393 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Here the deer knew the day the sweet corn was ripe.  They took out a complete row of yellow corn on the outside of the patch.  They did not bother the white at all.  Guess it wasn’t to their taste!!  It’s been ready a week now and they haven’t eaten the white at all.

We are surrounded with field corn  and it’s several fields to the woods.  They came through all that to get the yellow sweet corn.

#5273396 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Wow!  That is totally unreal!  Sorry about your yellow corn!  Wonder if they would touch bi-color?  I love the bi-color!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.