What to plant on a steep north facing hill?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As What to plant on a steep north facing hill?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by steepdrive steepdrive 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

We have a major steep hill that faces north.  When we moved in the mowers said no way they could mow it because of how steep it was.  We had crown vetch planted on it and that was fine for a year or two.  Then the weeds started to grow in there too and it was impossible to keep weeded.  Last year I had the mowers weed whack it when they came just to keep the weeds down.

My question is what should I plant on there?  I’m thinking it needs to be something I can mulch around to keep weeds down though wonder if mulch will just slide down and off.  My DH thought we should plant grasses but then I realized with the steepness of the slope cutting those grasses down in the spring would be impossible.  Ground covers are not an option because the weeds still come up in them.

I need something to hold the hill.  Forsythia?  Burning bushes?  Help!

photo signature_1.gif

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by steepdrive steepdrive.
    #5124271 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Probably you should also post on Garden Chat with your ??

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5124463 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

I did post it there initially.  There are photos too.  Did get some suggestions but would welcome more.

photo signature_1.gif

#5124481 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

My suggestion would be #1 Confederate Jasmine and #2 Juniper.

Community Team Member

#5124630 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Steepdrive I have planted creeping thyme on my northwest slope and I don’t have a problem with weeds.  I do pull some grass at time to time but not much.  The Thyme seems to fill everything all in for me.

I get sun there in the afternoon.  I have a rather steep slope that runs northwest to north.  I have hardly ever pulled weeds in this.  Once in a while I will see one or two weeds, but mostly clover or some grass, but once the thyme takes over it fills everything in and the weeds don’t have a chance.

Picture taken from backside of house facing direct north.

This is the slope down to the basement walkout.  The picture is a couple years old, but you can see the thyme is growing in the stone below.  Very few weeds to pull.  The thyme grows tightly together.

Here is another picture of it the year before.  I had some soapwort planted here too that did well, ut the thyme took that over.  Soapwort would be another choice.  That is the pink flowers at the top of the slope above the railroad tie.  Soapwort is a trailing plant, but I had to pull more weeds out of that one.

Hope this helps you.  I have slopes both on the northwest and northeast side of the house because of the walkout basement.

steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have to look up confederate jasmine.  Never heard of that.  The creeping thyme must be different than what I have in some of the pathways in the perennial garden.  Mine is much lower growing.

photo signature_1.gif

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.