What shape is your feeder in?

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds What shape is your feeder in?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I have two in my front yard. One is the round carousel type and the other is rectangular with a suet block on each side.

I had the rectangular one closest to the road and the round one closest to the house away from foot and car traffic. Since the rectangular one was a newer feeder with the added attraction of the suet, I was disappointed when I got no takers. The round one always had visitors from the first time I put it up.

Both have mixed seeds to which I add more BOS to. I switched them and now I get visitors to both. I recall reading once that they like being able to see around them and the round one gives them better line of sight.  Which makes sense since they didn’t visit the rectangular one when they wouldn’t feel as secure with movement from the road.

Does the placement of your feeders seem to make a difference how your visitors feed?

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5096819 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wendy, I’ve noticed that birds have a preference.  I’m not sure what the scientific answer would be, but I too see the goldfinches preferring the oblong tubular feeder to the oblong nyger feeder….go figure.  The larger one is for the BOSS seeds and the other has a tiny opening for nyger.  They hardly go to that one.  Yet both hand on the apple tree and both are easy access.  Then I bought the round feeder surrounded by a grill,  and although birds must feel secure because large birds can’t get inside, they don’t use it that much.  This winter I left the flower box container covered with nyger and it’s bird party time.  I’m sure I did not answer your question, but added mine.  Wish I knew the best placement.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5098144 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have so many different types! The birds come to all of them but the cardinals, woodpeckers  and gold finches prefer my front yard, the sparrows and starlings the back yard. Have one feeder that the squirrels can’t feed from even if it is within their reach and I hope to get another one just like it. Have two big silo type ones that they will still reach over and use their greedy little paws to get seed out and I don’t have any branches where I can hang them farther out. Sure miss my old Maple tree!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.