What "New" Plant Has Been Your Favorite This Year?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat What "New" Plant Has Been Your Favorite This Year?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

With summer well underway now, I’m wondering… what’s your favorite “new” plant for this year? Something you tried this year for the first time, whether it was a new offering from a catalog, or just something that’s “new to you”. I’ve really been enjoying the moonflowers I started this year from seed. They’re certainly not new to the gardening world, but they’re new to me, and I just love them!

Your turn! Share your favorite “new” plant of the year, and include photos if you have them. (Need help with photo sharing? Click here.)

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5267417 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

This year I tried gerbera daisies for the first time and they are doing really well. Beautiful colors. My GS is getting married in 2 weeks and his fiance Jeannie loves gerbera daisies and she will be carrying a bouquet of them.Jeannie is Greek so we are having a big fat Greek wedding.

#5267435 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I tried lisianthus for the first time this year and love them. I only wish I had not had so many other “projects” going on that have taken time away from caring for them, and the other flowers and plants. They would have done so much better if I had spent more time. But I love them anyway and next year (actually December) I will be starting more.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5267437 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

I love amaranthus, and grew Love Lies Bleeding this year for the first time.  It is so cool!

I gave some to my mom too, and hers look great!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5267543 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Mine was an accidental plant that came in a pack of Lisianthus Seeds…a Malabar Spinach plant the is growing on my back porch, is wrapping around the top railing on the porch, it fascinates me because it has pods on it that never open, some have darkened and fallen off so I will save the seeds for next year. It is raining now so I will try to get a picture to share tomorrow.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5267544 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

It would have to be my Clematis Julia Correvon…it was a “rescue” from the sale rack…it has been blooming and just love the deep color…I’ll see how it does through Winter ??

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5267566 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I always try numerous new annuals every year.  This year (so far) 2 are really making my “must have” list.  I am a lover of orange flowers and these certainly meet that criteria.

I have grown profusion zinnias for the past few years and love them….this double Fire Profusion is a stand out among the rest

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I always love a vine growing on my deck.  This is Mexican Flame vine….aka…Senecio Confusus.  It has been blooming nonstop and growing like a weed.  I think that by fall it will cover the entire trellis….or at least I am hoping that!  LOL

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5267583 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

How pretty, Charlene. Nice pix.

I tried Cleosia this year. 4 growing – small but pretty  orange flame like heads.

Had 4 pink lily blooms today.  Not new – but only lily still growing from some purchased 15+ years ago.  Stargazer. Had to find my phone – but when I found it I forgot why I wanted it. Got back to computer and found the name of the lilies – sent a pix-text to DD GD and Charlene.

Went to foot dr today. Got new pads for hammer toes. The calouses are so much better and these bigger pads will help.

I got another plant – that never bloomed. Put it in more sun and didn’t help. Will go out and look for the name tomorrow. Was a tiny violet bloom – trailing – but never moved much.  Time for bed. ZZZ

<*)~// Tealbird

#5267714 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

This are my neighbors morning glories, but I see them out my bathroom window every morning. I didn’t know what she planted, but they sure is pretty.

This was my surprise this year. A Texas Bluebonnet finally came up in my NE IOWA flower bed. I was told by the guy that sent me the seed from Texas that they can lay dormant for years. I think it’s been two or three since I threw the seed out there. I now have 4 seed pods maturing.

#5267723 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Well I posted a thread about my white cone flowers and they have bloomed beautifully and now the seed pods are sprouting little plants..while still on the plant…..never have seen this but think it is beautiful…..and very curious as to how many little plants it is going to make….check out the other pictures on the thread that says…..Have you ever seen anything like this……

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5267758 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

There are several new to me flowers (some which I started from seeds months ago) that are just about to bloom. Once they bloom, I’ll have a better idea & pictures;-) if I like them enough.

Oh I did just think of one that’s blooming it’s heart out right now. The bees love it & it is a native; grows exceptionally well & easily from seed, it’s called a Partridge Pea~Chamaecrista fasciculata. It grows about two feet tall & has lovely fern like fronds.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by MDgreenery MDgreenery.
    #5267792 Report Abuse
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    Participant

My new favorite wasn’t started by a sed, but it a bulb. I have a double tiger lil. I still have to get a picture of it before it has no blooms on it..

Eva

#5268041 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Arizona red galardia that I started from seed this year. I hoping they are ones that are perennial.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5268111 Report Abuse
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    Participant

Double tiger lily

#5268324 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

I planted pansies from seed this year.  I chose a mixed variety and I really like all the colors that are popping up from this annual flower.  I will plant this again next year.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.