What is wrong with my garden?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What is wrong with my garden?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 6 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    heatherincolor
    heatherincolor
    Participant

hey guys!

brand new gardener here and i am disappointed with the results of my first garden. i have pretty much written it off for this year, but i thought that if i can figure out what the problem is maybe i can fix it for next year…

i live in NC so we have lots of sun and heat. i put my squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant out on April 2nd and never had any frost damage. everybody said i would be getting lots of early veggies and that just hasn’t happened.

the squash and zucs are the biggest problems. the stems of all of them are crazy bent, brown, and cracked. some of them even appear to be cracked in two. the plants are green and healthy looking- the zucs are big and the yellow squash small, but i have gotten almost no veggies off of my SEVEN plants. a total of 3 yellows and 3 zucs in 3 months :-(

my tomato plants (2) seem healthy enough, but they shot out 6 tomatoes early and stopped flowering until this week. those tomatoes JUST started turning red so i’m not even sure there is much time left for more to ripen.

and my green pepper plants are tiny and just started peppers last week.

one total flower on 2 eggplant plants, so no eggplant parm for me.

oh and i have 4 butternut squash plants with 4 squash and 0 female flowers since they started growing.

i am gardening organically so if anybody knows if ridiculously low yields are normal due to that, please let me know. i’m just frustrated that the growing season is half over and i would have starved to death if i was counting on this garden to sustain me :)

Find more about Weather in Durham, NC

#5260241 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Not sure, could be lots of things!  Maybe you needed fertilizing?  Dont give up!  Can happen to the most seasoned gardener!  Maybe over watering?  Read everything you can about veggie gardening, incl watching utube videos onb gardening!  I love watching utube videos on gardening subjects!

#5260774 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Heather I think you have a couple of problems. One of em is this is the first year you’ve had a garden in that spot. Your soil may need some help. Another thing is I do think its in kind of  wet spot which will help to wash the nutrients away from your plants. You can help your plants by adding fertilize. Don’t think thats  going to harm your organic efforts. I have always thought organic gardening was mostly not use pesticides on your crops. As for your peppers don’t think I would be giving up on them. They do sound like they are behind but if they are still green they may yet begin to grow and produce more peppers. Often my peppers will have a couple of peppers when the plants are pretty small but then the plants start to really grow and eventually get kinda loaded with peppers. Peppers don’t need a lot of fertilize either but do like hot  weather.

This fall you might want to look into maybe sowing some type of rye grass in your garden and next spring tilling it in. That will add lots of nitrogen to your soil.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5260869 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Heather….I am not a big veggie gardener anymore, but I used to grow lots o veggies.  I think that your plants will turn around and end up doing great for you.  Do not worry that your tomatoes won’t have time to grow and ripen.  I am in zone 4 and most of my tomatoes are just flowering.  I know within a few weeks I will have more than we can eat…..and I only have a few plants.

There is a squash vine borer that will attack vines on plants, but then the plant usually dies and you say yours are healthy looking…..so I doubt you have that.

I agree with your Dad….you may need to amend your soil or give them a little boost with some kind of fertilizer.  There are many organic fertilizers on the market.  I don’t think anyone has the results they expect the 1st year of gardening….it is a learning experience.  Good luck. Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5261089 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Hi Heather

I  live in NC too. near Fayetteville. We are having some problems with the squash vine borer this year so you may too. They bore in the stem right above the ground and it turns brown and if you look close you may see the “pesky litle fella”.  As for pepper…lots of banana peppers but my green pepper are slooooooow this year. Butternut Squash is growing great. getting plenty of yellow squash and zucchini.  I have been giving away cucumbers because there is way to many to pickle.  We picked our first field peas today, too.  Tomatoes are getting more plentiful each day. I made Succotash yesterday. Already done some Bread and Butter pickles and my 14 day pickles are on day 8.  Yep, I stay in my kitchen during this season pretty much!  We irrigate the garden often since we are basically hot and dry.

#5261311 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I am finding my green bell peppers slow in coming this yr, too!

#5262145 Report Abuse
    heatherincolor
    heatherincolor
    Participant

since you folks were nice enough to respond to my dilemma, i thought i would share my recent finding with you…

WATER!

seems pretty basic, right? pretty sure i’ve just been doing it wrong this whole time!

i have really heavy terrible clay soil. i have mixed black kow in several times and used organic fertilizer a lot as well, but never noticed much of a difference. when i first planted my garden in the spring we were really wet from some late winter snow and getting lots of rain, so i never had to water it. occasionally i would notice that it looked dry and take the watering can out there, but the only outdoor water source i have is about 50 feet away from the garden, so 2 trips with a watering can were all it ever got. then last week i asked my roommate to water the garden and i noticed that she stood there for like 15 minutes just spraying it with the hose (the hose that is a real pain to get out to the garden) and i know i have never watered it that much. i decided to try some soaker hoses out in the garden and after only 4 days of using the soaker hoses regularly, i have new flowers everywhere! my butternut squash hadn’t flowered in over a month and now it’s back at it and my yellow squash and zucchini plants are going crazy too! i even had my first sweet potato flower this morning!

i know there are still issues with the garden and i won’t have any record breaking harvests this year, but what a relief to know that something as simple as WATER could have been my huge issue ;-)

Find more about Weather in Durham, NC

#5262165 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Sounds hopeful after all. So glad you figured out what needed to be done. I didn’t even think about needing water either because of how wet it was back when you first started it. I should have though because I know its hot down that way and of course it does dry out faster in the summer. Oh well, theres no substitute for experience. Every year you’ll learn a little something new about gardening.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5262259 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Glad you are figuring it out & having some success now!  WTG!

#5262260 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Every year presents a different challenge in the garden, too!

#5264371 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Heather, I’ve been gardening 40+ yr (mostly flowers) & still learning.   Glad it worked out.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5264582 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

2 yrs ago we bought a $60 load of mushroom soil from a local greenhouse.  Since then our garden has been wonderful.  We are on the farm and organic and have had lots of cow manure,  chicken manure and even compost but nothing has done what this load of mushroom soil has done.   Our garden was a hog lot about 50 yrs ago and has wonderful fine soil but now it is growing abundantly.

Also we bought bees and they are really good workers.  They make me smile when I see them all over the garden.  They are our friends

#5264979 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Belle, I have thought of buying organic mushroom soil, myself, particularly living nearby mushroom capital of the world, Kennett Sq, PA!  Also have thought of trying to grow my own shrooms!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.