What Is This

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat & Pictures What Is This

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  CNieman 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

My DIL posted this on FB & asked me what it is.  I know I’ve seen it but can’t think of the name.  Do you know?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5444074 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Gayle, someone put seeds of this on the seed train. Ive got 2 of the plants myself. But I didn’t mark what they are when I started them. I will have to move my plants, I didn’t realize they got that big.

photo tina1.gif

#5444108 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

She called it a bush, but she’s not really a Gardener so not sure if it’s a bush or just a big plant.

#5444150 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Look up yellow elder.  It is a shrub.  I just googled yellow trumpet shaped flowers and looked for it that way.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5444155 Report Abuse
    KBratnTex
    KBratnTex
    Participant

Not sure if it makes bunches of blooms like that, but it looks like an Allamanda blooms to me.

#5444157 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Kay-They call the yellow elder allamanda on steroids!  The leaves of allamanda look different than Gayles pic, but the flowers do look similar.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5444163 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Yellow Elder it is.  I found it.  She saw it on a recent trip to Texas.  Won’t survive here & much too big for her yard anyway.    And one site did say it looks like Allamanda on steroids.  LOL

TY, everybody.

#5444167 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Tina, this is probably different than what you got off the seed train.  I don’t think any of the people on the seed train grow this.

#5444401 Report Abuse
    Garden Helper
    Garden Helper
    Participant

I didn’t know what it was……………but i sure like it!!!!!!  larry

lol cat photo: OMG LOL!!!! OMGLOL.gif

#5444423 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I remember Roboutside posting a similar plant asking for ID when he made a trip to Texas last year.Looks like something too tropical for Iowa…lol Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5444430 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

It is Charlene & too tropical for here too.  Only for the more southern states.

#5444452 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Ill try to get a picture in the next couple of days of mine. It bloomed the yellow blooms about a month ago.

photo tina1.gif

#5459776 Report Abuse

JayneD
    Participant

Hi Gayle…

I just happened on this site and your question, so I tho’t I’d register, log on, and offer a possible answer.  Your picture looks to me to be a trumpet vine.  I have a large one, same color, I planted 5 years ago at the corner of my patio gazebo frame.  The bees it attracts makes the patio sound like a hive!  As the blossoms dry and fall, the mess they make is ongoing and requires constant sweeping up.  It’s really beautiful but the mess does make me frown.  I’m pleased for the attraction of bees, tho.  My neighbor has one with deep rust blooms.

#5459781 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Thanks for the info Jayne & Welcome

#5460126 Report Abuse

JayneD
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, Gayle!

Even tho the blooms on my trumpet vine should be attracting hummers, I think the bees run them off!! so I put feeders close by so the little guys don’t feel bad. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.