What Flowers Are Worth Deadheading, In Your Opinion?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As What Flowers Are Worth Deadheading, In Your Opinion?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Kim Kim 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Hey, gardeners! I’m getting ready to write a blog post here about deadheading, and why it matters (and when it doesn’t). Which flowers do you think are worth taking the time to deadhead, and which ones do you just leave to do their own thing?

For instance, I find that my marigolds and geraniums really benefit from deadheading, because they produce a lot more flowers that way. But I don’t bother with my petunias, because it doesn’t seem to matter that much.

What about you?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5117799 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

All of them.  LOL  Seriously I deadhead just about everything up until near the end of the season.  Then I let some flower heads remain if I want to gather seeds for those.

I never could make my DH understand why I was deadheading.  He didn’t get the idea that it makes most varieties bloom better & longer because all the energy goes into more blooms rather than into forming seeds.

Petunias definitely need it unless you have some of the newer varieties but I deadhead those too.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5117800 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I deadhead all flowers until Labor Day.  Our growing season is so short that I want to enjoy them for as long as possible.  There is plenty of time for saving seeds after Labor Day.

Deadheading stimulates more blooms in annuals, and some perennials will bloom longer or bloom for a 2nd time with proper deadheading.

Jill…petunias will bloom more if they are deadheaded the right way.  I know many just pluck the bloom, but you should actually snip the whole thing off or the plant is still busy forming seed pods rather than concentrating on blooming.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5117804 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Oh, I hear you guys on petunias. But they’re actually a cool-season annual here (can’t stand the humidity and rain of our summers – they just rot), and I only have them for a couple of months each year. So I kind of just let them do their own thing and enjoy them while they’re here. But this is exactly the kind of advice I’m looking for to write my post - Keep it coming!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5117839 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Jill if you will cut your petunias off level with the pot you will have another round of growth and blooms..I do this all the time….I don”t call it dead heading , just mowing down to the pot ream…you will not think this will work but it does…I am in Ga. same conditions as you have. I try to deadhead a lot of my flowers but who has all that time..

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5117855 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Petunias don’t really do well here either Jill so I can imagine what they do in Fla.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5117963 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I’ll give that a try, Ga Girls! I bought some really beautiful ones this year that are pink with green around the edge. I’d LOVE to get a little more life out of them!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5118069 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Jill….sorry, I forget about the zone difference sometimes when giving information.

Another thing about deadheading…..I have several perennial flowers that I love, but they seem to be a bit invasive.  I have found that if I deadhead them until they go dormant, (they freeze here) I do not have as many the next year.  Dare I say “nip them in the bud?”  LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5118085 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

All annuals, especially if you want to get enjoyment from them the whole season. They bloom to produce seeds. Once they produce the seeds, their job is done and they are no more. Deadhead so that they continue to bloom until you stop so that nature takes its course.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5119053 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

I deadhead everything including petunia’s . I was surprised when I dead headed some perennials and they rebloomed.  I learned that from this board. Plus when you deadhead it keeps your garden looking neater. I have to remember to dead head BEFORE I mow the lawn because I tend to drop them on the grass.

Sandy M.

#5119462 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Sandy, when I go out to check the beds I carry a baggy in my pocket in case there is something that needs deadheading and also a little pair of scissors.

I deadhead all annuals.  Even if they are say a spring bloomer, they will continue to at least be green if they are deadheaded.  I hate to see shriveled up blooms in a garden.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5121601 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

I do the same, deadheading and cleaning shriveled dead stuff…especially with this small Couryard where everything is visible and exposed…lol…no excuse not to do it!!…it is actually very enjoyable and relaxing….

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5121612 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

We cut our petunias the same way Janet said she does hers.  Ben says we are giving them a haircut.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Brantley, AL

#5133068 Report Abuse

negranny
    Participant

should you dead head hybiscus?  Mine didn’t do well at all last year.

#5135233 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

I’d say the only plants/flowers that I do not deadhead are those on vines such as;  cypress, black-eyed susan, passion, and Mexican flame.  They’re pretty much self-cleaning and continue to produce an abundance of blooms without deadheading.  Lantana pretty much takes care of itself in that sense, too.  Oh, and gladiolas….they’re another one that I just leave to do their own thing.

Kim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.