What do birds do when it's windy? (WK 5)

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As What do birds do when it's windy? (WK 5)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

trudy1180
    Participant

Due to extremely windy days here in Minnesota almost every day, I noticed the birds are not flying and I see very few.
    Will post answer next week.

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by  trudy1180.
    #5099694 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Oh boy. I don’t know this one!

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5100547 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Mine eat as fast as they can and then hunker down in bushes, trees, and places out of the wind.

#5101155 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

ANSWER:

Birds have many coping behaviors. They face the wind so moving air does not ruffle their feathers, thereby robbing them of the insulating heat layer between feathers and skin. Facing the wind also presents their naturally aerodynamic shape, which gives the least resistance. They stay on or low to the ground where actual wind speed is lower, and in the lee of any objects that can deflect the wind: tree trunks, power poles, fenceposts, shrubs, grass clumps, buildings. Birds also move as little as possible, thus conserving energy. Because they keep to dense cover, birding in high winds may be a bird-free proposition.

Due to the high winds almost every day here where I am in Minnesota, my bird population is very very low. A few Crows seem not to mind. We also have very few birds at any given time during the winter, Junco’s, Blue Jays, Cardinals are the main ones, and living with dense forest on three sides of me, they pretty much stay in the woods. Will be so glad when the snow is gone, leaves start to come on the trees and my numerous birds that migrate come back to my yard.

#5109937 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

they struggle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.