What changes are you making in your vegetable garden this year?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What changes are you making in your vegetable garden this year?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Junior Barnes Junior Barnes 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I think I have way too much time on my hands to think and plan.  I have big plans for a lot of changes in what I grow and how I grow things this year.  What about you?

It seems with the weather and now sure what else the garden just ain’t been what it used to be.  I have changed the variety of different vegetables I am growing and find I am going back to some varieties that I grew many years ago.  I have given up on heirloom bell peppers.  They just won’t produce the size and quantity that I get from the hybrids.  It has a lot to do with our weather.  We just don’t get the warm nights that peppers need to grow.

I am going back to planting some peas.  I sure do this them but the do consume a lot of space for the yield which means I need to make different arrangements for some plants and delete others.  Also have gone back to chinese/napa cabbage.  The only think I am deleting is potatoes  unless I decide to grown a few in containers.

I have added to my vegetables kale.  Mainly to feed all of the family guinea pigs.  I am also trying a bib lettuce this year for something new.

There will be some of the fine seed such as carrots and beets grown in milk crate containers that I am making.  Much easier to control the texture of the soil they are being grown in.

I have some old bean seed and not quite sure how well it will germinate but plan to throw it in around all of the brassicas to replenish the nitrogen they deplete from the soil.

Last I am making my own fish emulsion to have save money on fertilizer and also be more organic.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5129256 Report Abuse

mockingbird_ca_f
    Participant

Big change i would like to make is ..Getting rid of snails..They attacked my egg plant and peppers..

#5129357 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

My plans for my biggest change this year is with my tomatoes. The last few years my tomatoes have taken  a blight and by frost they are gone. This year I have heard of a determinate tomato that was developed by NC State University for this area that don’t get that blight. This year I’m going to try a few of those and plant them every two or three weeks till July and see if I can once again get tomatoes till frost.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5129434 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Ughhh! Where do I start, in regards to the new 80×100 Garden?  ;-)

New veggie this year is going to be cabbage.  Was going to do celery but after I opened the pkg, I thought there is no way I can do this.  To small unless there is an easier way.  Need to read up more..

Just purchased 6 more various fruit trees to complete the orchard, 12 total.  This will double as an area for strawberries, which I just got done starting from seed. New for us in the garden this year.

Other newbie might be asparagus. Not sure yet.  It’s going to be more of a time issue for planting.  I know it won’t be ready for a least 2 -3 yrs, will have to wait see if we can squeeze it in.

One thing, after reading these forums, that I am now doing with regards to the garden, is journaling.   I am now making index cards as a way for me to keep track of everything that goes into that garden.  It starts with seed packet and will go through to the end. Everything is being kept track of.  I think that is going to be such a Resourceful tool for years to come!

I forgot to add, I am going to attempt Watermelon and Cantelope this year.  If it works it works and if it doesn’t, well I will know better for next year.  Which leads me to my next question…….  I will have to ask that on the All about seeds board…

#5129492 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Dena, you have a lot going on.  I grow celery.  It is easy.  I just sprinkle the seed on top of the dirt in the flats and lightly cover it with soil.  Once it grows it isn’t that difficult to transplant.  I have also just sprinkled a couple of seed in each cell of a cell pack.

I have an asparagus bed that I started this will be its third summer.  I was able to pick a couple of meals from it last year.  I can’t wait for this year when I can pick all I want for about a month.

I to am putting in a strawberry bed this spring.  Just got word today that my plants will arrive the middle of next month.

Watermelon and cantalope do not do well here.  Season isn’t long enough.

That is a lot of garden to plant and care for.

Mockingbird, I have a few snails around here but have never had a problem with them. Now the slugs on the other hand get into my cabbage big time.

Steve, I would just like a year when my tomatoes got ripe before the first frost.  Usually only get a few ripe ones before frost and I have to pick them green.  Liquid Copper sulfate works good if you think your tomatoes are getting the blight if you catch it in time.

photo signature_3.gif

#5129744 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Well I was thinking I wouldn’t be having my candy onions since I started NO seed this year but just went at lunch and found some sets at our local seed place, I’m SO excited to get those!! I am thinking about not planting any yellow squash or zuchinni this year, those stinking squash borers get them every single time and they take up a lot of space in my garden just to croak! I had thought about doing them in a big tub/pot but now that your saying that about carrots in a tub, I might use it for that! I’ll have my peppers, cabbage, kale, green beans, tomatoes (hoping to find someone around here with some heirloom paste tomato plants) and of course I need some herbs. I grew sweet potatoes in a tub just to play with and they did good from my slips from a growing one I had in the kitchen. I don’t have much garlic at all this year which is a bummer, just didn’t get it planted but did notice a few volunteers are growing well out there. I may grow one cherry tomato but I get tired of them producing so heavy that they end up dropping and then I have a thousand volunteers the next year. I am hoping for it to be dry enough this weekend that I can go on out and get the garden ready and some things planted or seeded.

#5129801 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Deloris I usually try to plant some marigolds near my squash and also I spray the stems of the squash near the ground where the squash vine borers enter the plant, being careful not to spray the blossoms.

Community Team Member

#5129960 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Del, I am glad you were able to find your onions.  I am hoping to get mine in the ground today or tomorrow.

Steve what do you spray the stems of your squash with?

BTW, I have been reading a lot on organic ways to fight plant disease and pests.  Read a very interesting on about blight yesterday.  They cut 3″ pieces of fine copper wire and when the tomato stem was about the size of a pencil the wire was stuck through the stem an 1″-2″ above the dirt level and then they sprayed the plants weekly with 3% hydrogen peroxide.  I would need to buy that by the gallon if I were to spray all of mine.

photo signature_3.gif

#5130034 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Bette I spray my squash stems with liquid sevin but you do need to be really careful to avoid spraying  the blooms so you won’t harm the bees. I spray early in the morning or late in the evening where this is no wind. Also I do think the marigolds do help. I used to have problems with my squash fruits getting wormy but when I started planting marigolds I haven’t had a wormy squash since.

Community Team Member

#5130441 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steve, marigolds are a good companion planting for the vegetable garden.  They seem to ward off a lot of problems.

photo signature_3.gif

#5133128 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I’ve even thought about planting squash in a big pot and trying to cover the base of it with a row cover to keep them out.  I also had cucumber beetles something awful last year and the stink bugs the year before that.  Oh bugs quit ruining my garden!

#5133945 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Crop rotations. lol That’s about it.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.