What Bird or Bird Behavior Tells You Fall Has Arrived?

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) What Bird or Bird Behavior Tells You Fall Has Arrived?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  terris 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Hard to believe it’s almost Labor Day Weekend (or “Labour Day”, for you Canadians)! In many places, that means summer is almost over and fall weather will be here before you know it. When I was a kid growing up in Ohio, I always knew fall was just around the corner when the Canada Geese (which we called “honkers”) would fly overhead in the classic “V” formation, headed south. Now that I live in Florida, I know it’s fall when my winter waterfowl start arriving on our lake, like Ring-Neck Ducks and Northern Shovelers.

What about you? What bird leaving (or arriving) tells you fall is on the way?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5277754 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Jill, we have a huge flock of geese land on the lake today. They have been gone a couple of months but when they start coming back you know that they are leaving up north…they stay here until mid-winter…then they leave but only for  a couple of months and then they are back .  I am waiting for the cormorants, and buffleheads, and ring-necks… they will be coming through soon… boy sure seems like they just went through for the spring.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5277781 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

The geese when they are honking and headed southward; I know winter is not far behind!

#5277794 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

The geese & ducks honking or quacking as they fly over.  I heard them the other day (Already !!)

BTW, mine’s not leaving , they are arriving.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5277818 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I only seem to have white breasted nuthatches in the winter…but they have begun to visit my feeders, and are storing the sunflower seeds in any nook and cranny they can find in my tulip poplar tree.

#5277833 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Our resident Hummingbirds plumping up for the long flight…& then flying away:-(

#5278172 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Such good examples! Do you change your own interaction with the birds as the seasons change? For instance, here in Florida I don’t bother filling my bird feeders in the hot, wet summer months. It’s too hard to keep them clean in the nearly daily rains and high humidity, plus many birds switch to insects in the summer while they’re feeding nesting babies. After Labor Day, though, I usually put back up at least one feeder, adding more when the weather finally starts to cool off (at least another six weeks for us).

Anyone else make changes like that? Different food? More or less of it?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5279788 Report Abuse
    zebramater
    zebramater
    Participant

Clear crisp mornings seeing the leaves turn all their colors and the huckleberries up in the mountains. Love fall, it’s my favorite time of the year. Started decorating, do fall decorations, limited Halloween.

#5279836 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I feed the birds year ’round but in the winter months I add suet cakes to their diet & sometimes peanuts for the squirrels.   And of course the Hummingbird Feeders come down.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5280058 Report Abuse

Jeankirby
    Participant

The arrival of the juncoes in my backyard under the bird feeders

#5280075 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I don’t really change any of my feeders.  I take down a couple of the suet feeders in the summer, and of course I have hummingbird and oriole in the summer, and they will be coming down soon…I do add more peanuts for the jays in the winter… and bring all the feeders more into one place out of the winter winds, which is hard out here on the lake.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5283973 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

I keep my feeders up all year Niger one, mixed one and the suet, noticed the squirrel is eating the suet now. have had a lot more sparrows lately. Mary in Ky

#5289140 Report Abuse
    LuvsDaisys
    LuvsDaisys
    Participant

The goldfinch turns to olive green,the birds start coming around more and more checking out the feeders..especially the cardinals and downy’s. I did feed the birds all summer this year. Sometimes I don’t but I guess I wanted them close by this summer.  :)

#5291531 Report Abuse

terris
    Participant

September 30th – the last day the Hummingbirds were at our feeders. They are gone. We are in south central PA. I miss them already…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.