What are you harvesting this week.

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening What are you harvesting this week.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Went to the plots after work Tuesday and picked another 15 green peppers.  That makes a total of 25.  Got them cut up and in the freezer yesterday.  Also picked another  4 1/2 pounds of green beans so that make about 20 pounds.  There will be another picking about enough for a meal.  There are no more blossoms coming so I will be pulling them when I pick.

I have quite a few jalapenos about ready to pick and some sweet banana peppers should start turning red shortly.

Onions are starting to fall over and dry so will be pulling them soon.  Celery isn’t quite big enough yet but should finish up soon.

Broccoli is starting to form heads but looks like they are going to be rather small.  Cabbage is heading up and also the Chinese cabbage is growing quite nicely.

Tomatoes I don’t even want to discuss.  I will be buying them in a couple of weeks.

Should be eating zucchini and pickling cucumbers soon.  Not sure what the slicers are going to do.

Did manage to get another 4 hours of weeding done in the big garden yesterday.  That makes 8 hours this week and am about 3/4 done.  However it is raining today so won’t have a chance to get out there about until at least Monday.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5276194 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

We are picking Rattle Snake beans  ( pole green beans) and canning today…have a counter full of green and red bell peppers., the peppers have done really good this year….and yes we too do not want to talk about tomatoes,,,none to freeze or can and plants are just about gone…..had no squash, the plants got really big, had little finger size squash on them and then nothing…that was a while back.. the cukes were good for a short while and then gone….we have some yellow banana peppers to pick….DH was pulling up plants yesterday to make room for him a turnip bed…we do have a row of six week peas that we got a small pan of shelled ones yesterday….can’t wait to cook for dinner tonight. And we have a row of pole lima beans ( we call them butterbeans in the south)…it is loaded with small bean pods….I love me some butterbeans with corn on cob and fried chicken…LOL  oh and sliced tomatos….I planted a tomato plant in with my flowers at the back door and it is producing more tomatos than out in the garden…smooth rounded ones…I have a bucket of tart apples that a friend gave me when I went to the quilting club on Tuesday .I guess I will make apple sauce or fix up to use to make pies….may try canning some of them…..oh well it won’t get done if I stay on here….Have a great day.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5276198 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I miss my garden at my oldv place!  So, I have nada!  :-(

#5276207 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Just a cucumber here & there, one at a time.  The vines have gotten Mildew   again this year.

My 1st 3 tomatoes were medium size (supposed to be beefsteaks but never are) & they went to my neighbor since I had just bought some at the local produce stand.  That was last month & since then all I have on the vine are small ones & they are very slow to ripen.  I don’t think I’ll do any next year.  The trees in the surrounding woods & the few in my yard are getting bigger & I don’t think there is enough sun there now.  If I put them anyplace else they will just be deer food.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5276231 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well off my two bell peppers, I made stuffed peppers and froze them.. 6 huge ones… really happy with that.  Also have a couple to eat..and they are blooming, probably too late but will leave them. My one and only tomato plant is doing great.  I picked 8 nice tomatoes this week.  Going to just use them on salads and slicing up to eat.

I planted one hill of cukes…and so far I have picked 13… really good sized ones…but they are getting mildew so probably won’t be getting too many more.. I was really please with just the small things I put out. 

The tomato plant was  new one to me… it was called Atlas… very happy with the fruit on it…nice and firm and plump…

Bette it sounds like you got a lot done with the weeding.  Only a few more weeks of growing season left.. sure hope everything fills out nice for you.

Janet, sounds like your garden did well… even with yucky tomatoes… busy busy…and yummy yummy…

Marg, sorry , maybe next year do some pots of goodies..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5276457 Report Abuse

belle_pa
    Participant

Everythings coming at once here.  The sweet corn is about over.  We froze some of the last this week.  We canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, made a corn and cabbage relish.  This morning I made a large bowl of cabbage slaw for the family for the weekend.

Last eve dil served white beets.  It’s strange eating white beets but they taste just like red beets.  I don’t think I’d like them much for pickled eggs.  They would be pretty pale eggs.   We also picked yellow and green beans twice this week.  Yellow squash is waiting for something.  Who knows what the gd’s will come up with for squash.  We had a vegetarian stuffed zuchinni  for supper Tue.   It was made with black beans instead of meat.

#5276540 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Sounds awesome, Belle!  Especially the zucch supper!  You should try that w/ eggplant & tomatoes & belle peppers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.