Weekend Bird Photo Challenge (4/18/2014): Migration

Home Forums Birding Bird Pics Weekend Bird Photo Challenge (4/18/2014): Migration

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by theLark_IN_5 theLark_IN_5 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

This weekend, I’m challenging you to post bird photos that fit the theme, “Migration”. These might be photos of birds you only see during migration season, or the large gatherings that only happen during migration. Or maybe they’re birds that arrive in your backyard to let you know that migration has started or ended for the season.

I’ll kick this off with some Red Knots we spotted last weekend at the beach here in Florida. They have one of the longest known migrations each year, from the tip of South America all the way up to the Arctic.

And I just have to share my Scarlet Tanager photo from last weekend again… sorry. ;)

Let’s see your migration photos!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5133980 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Love your birds  Jill… so prettty…

We had an Osprey over the lake… they come here every year for a  few days on their way north.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5134014 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I always look forward to the spring arrival of the indigo buntings. Once they arrive I pretty well know its spring.

But the one bird I look forward to seeing during both spring and fall migration are the rose breasted grosbeaks. Only get to see them for a couple of weeks in the spring and again in the fall but I just love seeing these beauties.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5134097 Report Abuse
    grannyfarmer
    grannyfarmer
    Participant

Red tailed Hawk

A rough legged Hawk

#5134222 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Well, we all know our little Ruby Throated Hummers migrate. They are back!!!

#5134223 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

This is a photo of the swans evening returning to the Pungo Lake near Mattamuskeet, NC

#5134566 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Steve , I am awaiting the return here too..

Granny, love the hawk

Sandra…. I want my hummers !!!!! its about time but none here yet…they are all around us so far.

And my goodness the swans…….. we have four on our lake I thought that was good…lol

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5134699 Report Abuse
    Almb
    Almb
    Participant

Black-headed Grosbeak

photo FBlackHeadGros55-11_zps8189581c.jpg

#5135158 Report Abuse
    theLark_IN_5
    theLark_IN_5
    Participant

When the killdeer returns I know it going to stay warm.

photo larkiegif.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.