Wednesday 4/9/14 in the VSR

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Wednesday 4/9/14 in the VSR

This topic contains 21 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Donna Donna 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    anky37
    anky37
    Participant

Good morning all. It’s actually going to be a nice day today!! But I think rain is lurking somewhere. Although I probably won’t get anything done. BIL might get discharged today & I’ll probably have to get him. So I’m taking clothes with me to work to change if I have to. Ain’t running around in my work clothes– hate the shirt we have to wear. I also have choir practice tonight so my day is kind of done.

Charlene sorry about your uncle. I should check my seedlings. They should probably be transplanted too.

I’m off. Slow day today– sometimes that’s worse then a busy day.

have a good day all

photo signature_1.gif

#5129027 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Good Morning Sue and all…it is supposed to rain here today too but as long as the temps stay up I won’t care, except my lawn is like a sponge already. I have an appointment for my Lifeline Screening this morning so that will take up a good part of the day. It is in another county so need to get going early. First I need to get the critters all fed, a shower and get gas in the truck. On my way home I need to get to the Vet for some heart worm and flea meds for all of the animals.  Sue I am glad your BIL is going to be discharged. They don’t like to keep them in the hospital any longer than necessary due to the chances of infections.   I hope you all have a wonderful day with nothing but spring like weather.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5129034 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Morning, I woke before the alarm to a choir of little birds singing outside my window.  It lulled me right back to sleep to be startled by the alarm going off. LOL  Not sure what our weather will be today but I know the weekend is to be beautiful and I can’t wait.  Maybe I can get out and get some beds weeded before they take over.  For today its just another work day for me!  Got no good reasons why Steve’s insurance was cancelled so we’ll see if they call us back and kick it back on and hopefully the heart institute will fax me his doctor’s notes from the last visit.  Guess I need to get up and get started packing my lunch and ready for work.  Everyone have a great day!

#5129036 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  It is 25º this morning but promises of upper 60s later today.  Those are the warmest temps we’ve had in 189 days….Oct 2 was the last.  I guess it is time.

Last night I was busy washing up bedding and preparing food.  # grandkids come today and will be staying for 4 days unless their other Grandma decides that she wil take them for a couple of them.

Thanks for the sympathies.  I have to be honest…..I am more sad with the reality that I have no more uncles than I am upset at the passing of this last uncle.  He was not the nicest person in the world.  He was mean to his wife and children and I am never impressed with anyone like that.  He died from cancer(pancreatic or prostrate….I got 2 different stories)  He was almost 90.

Work in my shop for me today.  I am not sure how much puter time I will have the next few days, so if I am missing do not be worried.

Have a great day everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5129045 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Good morning. It’s 38 and cloudy, with a promise of 67 today.  Like Charlene, it’s been a very long time since we’ve had a temp like that!  The sun is supposed to come out too, but it will be very windy.  Hoping to take the kiddos for a walk this morning for something different.  We’ve been cooped up in that darn school for far too long.

Snow is melting nicely with this weather.  Our south facing hill in our woods went from completely covered on Friday (kids were sledding), to clear by the road on Sunday, to patchy snow today.  You definitely couldn’t sled on it!  Our grass hill next to the house has no snow at all!!  My front and side yards however still have lots : ( .  Maybe when we get home it will be gone completely.  Todays weather will sure help!

Last day of work for the next 2 wks.  Need to make sure to get all my stuff done for my sub.  My co-workers take over as role of teacher when I’m gone, so it all works out good.  Have a busy day for sure, so should be fast.

Did all the reading of posts, sounds like most are busy with seeds and transplanting.  Will be nice when we can say we spent the day in the garden.  Hope it’s a fabulous day for everyone!!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5129046 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Karen…yay that the Texas Star are getting new leaves.  Did the one Sanvatalia ever snap out of it?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5129080 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Me again….just walking out the door to go to work, but I wanted to share the pic of the couch with a “few” buttons….lol.  160 of them!  I am glad that this is done.

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5129083 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good morning all. I took advantage of my one day off before the next seven and slept in. I’ll be working eight hour days over the weekend so I have to figure out when I’ll get to the grocery store.

This is not the nicest day of the next seven but I might think about getting the greenhouse up this afternoon depending upon how the ground is. I can’t see those plants surviving in the basement through May.

Hugs to you Charlene. Charlene, that is my sofa. I still have the button and needle you sent me to fix it on the end table. You need to come back to put it on for me.

Have a great day all.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5129084 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  35 and mostly sunny right now.  Suppose to get into the high 40′s today then 5 days around 60.  I can take that.  Just shut the heat off in the greenhouses for the day.  Yesterday it was cloudy and overcast so had to run it most of the day.

I didn’t do a thing yesterday that I should have done except water.  Spent most of the morning here doing a couple of new threads.  Spent the afternoon in the kitchen catching up on some cooking.

For 2 mornings I have been sitting here looking at the geranium house and trying to figure out how I can arrange it to give me more floor space for planters etc.  If the sun stays out at all today, I may go out and move all the plants out and try a new plan.  This is the first year that I have had the second 6×8 up for the spring.

Sounds like everyone is busy with seedlings.  Hopefully we all will be outside working in the dirt shortly.  I have a feeling I am going have to work double time at home since I will be working 2 days a week.  I start a week from today.

Charlene, beautiful job on the couch.  I have done those buttons and not fun.  Thankfully not as many as in that couch.

Have a great day.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5129088 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good morning!  Looks like we are in for a nice stretch of weather here and I am loving it.  We should be in the mid to upper 50′s today and at least ten degrees warmer through next Monday.  It finally feels like spring in NW Ohio! I’m pretty sure I will have to be getting myself outside to soak up a bit of the much-anticipated sunshine we will be getting.

I’ve kind of taken it easy since the kids left, so today will be one of putting things back in order.  I want to sow more seeds and begin hardening off my broccoli as well.

Charlene, it looks like the only true casualty from the plants getting from your place to mine was that one Sanvatalia that was in bloom when it arrived.  The other one is a real moisture barometer for me.  It definitely lets me know if it wants more water, but it will be just fine.  Everything else is looking super.  I am especially glad about the Texas Star coming back because I only had one seed germinate for me.  Now I will have three and know they will look fabulous together out in the garden.  Is the yellow Lupine going to be a perennial or annual for me in zone 5?  I’ve seen it listed as both.  What is your experience?  Have fun with those grands!!!

Happy last day of work, Melissa!  I’m sure you are filled with excitement and dread to a certain extent.  Prepping for a sub can be exhausting.  As someone who has been both teacher and sub, I appreciate good lesson plans being left.  I’m sure your subs will too.

Deloris, aren’t the singing birds the best?  Could be my favorite part of spring!  We not only hear them bright and early in the morning, but the robins are noisy well after dark.  I love it!  I hope you get some answers about Steve’s situation TODAY.

Busy, busy day for you it sounds like, Molly.  I hope you have good weather for your travels.  The rain is a lot easier to tolerate when it is warm, isn’t it?

I hope you get to pick up your DBIL, Sue.  They do move folks out of hospitals fast these days.  I just saw a story on GMA this morning about how likely it is to pick up an infection in the hospital.  Molly’s right about that being one good reason to get people in and out as quickly as possible.  I was shocked that the hospital I was in tried to send me out on the Monday after I had my surgery on Friday.  Had I been able to get into the rehab facility on Monday, I would have been out.  As it was, I left on Tuesday.  I felt I had barely woken up from the surgery at that point.  LOL!

Well, there is plenty that needs done so I ought to get busy.  I will have my first PT appointment in a week this afternoon.  Should be interesting after having gone every other day for a while now.

Have a good day!

PilgrimIndiansiggy photo PilgrimIndiansiggy.jpg
    Karen
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5129094 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Good morning everyone. It is 34º here and a big white frost. It is suppose to be in the 70s the rest of the week and maybe 80. I scrubbed my kitchen cabinets yesterday and my shoulder is talking to me this morning! I didn’t get all of them cleaned but can finish this morning. I’m anxious to get out in the new bed in back along the house for my shade plants. I have already put a few plants out there. I had two pots of hostas and have one of the pots planted and they are twice as big as the ones in the pot. Maybe I can set my seedlings out today to start hardening off.
    Sun is out and most of the white stuff is about gone, can’t believe it left so fast! Have a good day all. Abey

#5129098 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Charlene I missed the couch picture. It is beautiful. Oh my buttons and more buttons! Is it yours?

#5129105 Report Abuse
    Gitti Z5
    Gitti Z5
    Participant

Good morning everyone. It is 32F here and blue Sky. It is suppose to be 44F

It is my hiking day today and my turn to lead the hike. So I better get ready.

Charlene I love the Couch.

Ha good day all.

photo signature_1_zps17dbf24d.gif

#5129106 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good morning!  Hurrah the sun is out!  We are slowly getting the warmer weather, but still cold at night.

This morning I feel lost.  Don’t know where to begin, or what to start.  I know I have to go to pick up a duvet cover.  I was supposed to do that yesterday, but never made it.  I’m debating whether I should plant the dahlias into pots to give them a start, or just do like I did last year…plant directly into the soil outside.  They bloomed later, but I saved myself a step.

Sue, I hope your BIL will bedischarged today.  Hospitals these days are one big bacteria breeding space for viruses.  I’m always worried when I have to go to one.  Thank goodness not often.

Molly, yes it’s time for a vet visit.  Soon all those pests will be looking for a nice warm body to make their summer home…..in our furbabies that is.

Charlene, my sympathies on the passing of your uncle.  By the way, you did a fantastic job on that couch.  You have the patience of a saint.  Have fun with the grandkids.  They will keep you busy.

Melissa, yes the snow is melting here too…not fast enough for me.  I can’t wait to clean up the backyard.  Are you going away for your 2 weeks off?

Wendy, sometimes that one day off becomes like you would have to do the work for 2 days in that one.  Hope you get your greenhouse set up.

Bette, I know you love cooking.  I don’t even know myself.  I used to cook all the time.  Now it is such a chore.  Mind you the only time I like it is I have people coming over.  Who likes to cook for one person…not me.

Karen, every time I read someone planting veggies, I feel guilty not doing the same.

Abey, sound you are on the spring cleaning mode.  I’s so glad mine is done.  I still have to do the basement and garage….I know…I have been procrastinating.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5129107 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Gitti have a nice hiking day.  Your weather must be for the activity.  Have fun.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.