VIP~ Thursday August 21

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat VIP~ Thursday August 21

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Raising_4_Birders Raising_4_Birders 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  I cannot believe that someone else has opened this….they probably are right now…oh well, then we will have 2.

It is raining here this morning!  What a wonderful sound and smell that is!  We need it is bad…..DH said we have gotten ½ inch so far. Earlier a lot of thunder and lightning, so the puter was unplugged and we actually lost power for a few minutes.

Work in my shop for me today and lunch with friends.  One of my friends birthday is today so there has been talk about congregating on our front porch later.  That is always fun

Have a great day everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5276145 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Good morning Charlene and all who follow.  Sounds like you will have a fun day.

Another day of running and work.  It’s very gloomy again and we are to get some rain.  It sure has felt like fall this week and there are some leaves that are already changing color.  That’s depressing!  It’s 61 with a high of 74.  Minneapolis is to hit 90.  What a difference in less than 200 miles.

I did skin a gallon of tomatoes last night and hope to do a batch of salsa today.  My ds2 loves salsa, so he helped me last night and will help again today.  I need to go buy some jalepenos.  I tried a variety this year called fooled you jalepeno, which are supposed to have the flavor without the heat.  Not so much!  They look like a jalepeno but taste like a bell.  It’s really odd!  I don’t like the heat, but I do like the flavor of a jalepeno, so thought these would be good.  Oh well!

Time to get dd up and get moving. Hope everyone has a great day.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5276149 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Good Morning Charlene, Melissa and all! I got busy and didn’t get here until now, so much to do and so little time to get it all done. It is overcast right now but supposed to clear and get hot later. Saturday our Sunday School class is putting on a luncheon for after our friend’s funeral and Sunday afternoon is the picnic for the people who worked on the parsonage. So I have a lot of cooking and cleaning to do both inside and outside today. I need to get propane for the grill too since I am doing beer butt chickens for Sunday. I went to the store yesterday and got what I needed for the weekend but didn’t get anything I needed for ME for the week!!
    Charlene I wish I could be there on your porch today, if I had that porch I would probably never get anything done.
    Have a great day everyone!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5276154 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Good morning. I kept checking, knowing someone would open, but afraid if I did we would have a double. So I just waited.

Charlene, like Molly, I would love to have a porch like yours and would sit for hours. Ok, not if it was here, maybe. Today will be 100° and by the time it cools off the mosquitoes will take you away. You have to go outside early in the morning to avoid the heat and bugs, but even then it is sometimes warm and muggy.

Melissa, wish I could send you some heat, or that you could blow some of that cooler air this way. DGS has soccer practice at 6pm, but it won’t cool off much by then. It will probably still be over 90.

Molly, sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead. I hope to get something accomplished on the floor this weekend. So many things keep getting in the way. Tomorrow I have 2 appts to deal with, and I cancelled one. First I have to get my oil changed in the car and have them check a tire that keeps losing air. I leave in 2 weeks for my niece’s wedding in Alabama, so that has to be done. Don’t care to be on I-20 going through Atlanta and have a flat. I also took my sewing machine in to be serviced yesterday, so if they get that done I will have to pick it up. DS#4′s GF has been wanting to make slings and wraps to carry the baby, and was going to sew them by hand, but I thought it would be quicker if I got the machine running. She has never used one before, though, and I haven’t used it in about 25 years. lol They said it looked pretty good to be so old, but I told them it has been folded up in the cabinet for 20-25 years. Perhaps after I get the house finished I will take up sewing. I didn’t even know until a few months ago that we have a fabric store in town. All of the ones we have had in the past have gone out of business. But I heard about this new place and took the GF Saturday to buy material. They do repairs, so I decided to take mine in. I don’t think it has a major problem, but I quit using it because I screwed up the tension so bad and couldn’t get it straightened out. And of course sitting for so many years didn’t help. But it does run, so I think (hope) it will be an easy cheap fix.

Have a good day everyone.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5276161 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  63 and rain today.  I heard a couple of hard showers during the night.  We got 1/2″ then.  Yesterday had Addison all day.  She was real good.  Just did her own thing except when she was hungry which about every hour.  Don’t know where she puts it all.  I got 4 more hours of weeding done in the big veggie garden.  Have it about 3/4 done but won’t get a chance to get out there again until Monday.

Addison won’t be here until about 1 today.  Then she will have a sleepover.  We have to leave before 8 tomorrow morning to get her to meet her Mom who will take her to Kindergarten orientation.  If all goes as planned it is only a 20 minute drive back to the city so I will do a little shopping and then go back and meet her and bring her back here.  I work tomorrow at 4 so hopefully her Mom cooperates and gets her back to me on time.  DS will come and have dinner with her and I tonight so she gets to see him for a while.  She is here until Labor Day.  I think DS will have next Friday off so they will have a long weekend together.

Have plenty to keep me busy today.  I need to strip my bed plus have other laundry to do.  Then I hope to work on cleaning in the guest room again.  It has never really been cleaned up since I moved the nursery out of there back in April.  Would like to get upstairs and work a little more on that bedroom as it is where I plan on putting my geraniums this winter.  However, DD wants the 2 dressers up there but her DH hasn’t picked them up yet.  Then I will move on dresser from the guest room up there and my sewing machine which will give me more room in the guest room.  Lots of plans but seems I am always waiting for someone else to do something before I can continue with what I want to do.

Charlene, have a nice lunch and visit on your porch later.

Molly, you always seem to have lots to do for others.  It sure keeps you busy.

Melissa, I remember too well all the running with kids but I only had 2 and they weren’t involved in as much as yours are.  I have stopped trying new vegetables and gone back to the old standbys that I raised years ago.

Leslie, I hope to get back into sewing this winter.  Haven’t done much in well over 20 years either.  My machine is over 40 years old and is still running great.

Not getting much accomplished sitting here so best get moving.

Have a great day.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5276168 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Well, my sewing machine is worse than I thought. They “think” it may have a bad gear, but wouldn’t know unless they took it completely apart, which would be $150-$200. I had given them a limit of $75. Don’t think I want to put that much in an old machine. So I guess I will pick it up tomorrow and pay the $35 I owe for the service. Then I will decide about buying a cheap one in the future. They didn’t say it wouldn’t work at all, just that it was making a bad noise, so maybe she can at least get the wraps done before it breaks completely. We will see. Perhaps I will take it apart myself one day – when I have time.

Bette, DGD#2 started kindergarten today. I can’t believe how the years are flying by. I now have one in 5th grade, one in 2nd, and one in K5.

#5276203 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good morning everybody ( barely).  It is going to be a hot one here today also.  it was already 78º at 8:30 this morning.  I walked around the yard deciding where I’m going to put what next year. ( My plans change daily.  LOL)  Filled one of the birdfeeders, cut dead blooms off my Incrediball Hydrangea.  My cucumber vine has Mildew bad & looks awful so I pulled dread leaves off that too.  Then I noticed a lot of the pots & some of the birdbaths were pretty dry so Sprinkler is going once again.

Don’t know what else I’ll get into today,maybe cut some of the grass this evening & Chelsea could stand a bath.    Depends on what I’m in the mood for.

Leslie, I wouldn’t put that much money into repairs either.  You could probably get a new (cheaper) one or probably even a 2nd hand one for that much money or less.   When I was first married my husband worked for the local school board as an electrician’s helper while he went to computer school.  He bought a used portable machine for me from one of the school’s home ec. programs & I used that for many years.  In fact I finally gave it away after I stopped using it much.  If I want to sew something now I just do it by hand.

Molly, you have to tell me how to make Beer Butt Chicken.  I’ve heard of it quite often but never made it or eaten it.

Bette, is Addison going to be staying with you till Labor Day?

Melissa, did you grow all those tomatoes yourself?  Sometimes I wish I had a nice big sunny area for a vegetable garden & no deer to eat them.  LOL  However, deer I have & a lot of sun I don’t.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5276209 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

For the rest of the story, I found a machine on rollback at Walmart. Reg price was 399 but on sale for 135 and free shipping. So I ordered it. Funny, I wasn’t in the market to buy a sewing machine, or even use one, but now that I got to thinking about it, I can see so many uses. I hate shopping for clothes, and never seem to find something quite right. So now I can make some simple tops at least and perhaps like them a little better.

I’m even thinking about how I might alter a dress I like that has gotten too small, to wear to my niece’s wedding. I finally bought another dress, but don’t like it near as much as I do this one. It would be better if I could lose all of this extra weight, but it doesn’t look like that will happen any time soon.

#5276232 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Leslie-Sounds like you got a good deal!  My grandma used to love to sew and made many clothes over the years.  She had to quit a few years ago as her eyesight had just gotten too bad.  My mom used to as well, but she just doesn’t have time any more with dad, grandkids, work and other hobbies.  I’m lucky if I can sew a button or a torn seam (by hand). lol

Molly-Hope the picnic goes well.  You worked so hard!

Gayle-Our veggie garden is pretty big, about 50×35.  We have an 8′ tall fence around it as the deer would just eat it all otherwise.  I grew 4 varieties of tomatoes and put in about 16 plants (which is way too many I’ve decided!).  I love to make salsa and spagetti sauce but by the time the tomatoes are ripe and ready here I’m back to work and have no time to do it.  I told dh I’m really not sure what I’m going to do with all the tomatoes that we have that are green yet.  I barely picked any last night and got enough for a batch of salsa.  Oh well!

Bette-I can’t believe Addison is going to K.  I remember when she was born!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.