VIP ~Thursday 7/31/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat VIP ~Thursday 7/31/14

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Donna Donna 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good Morning all. I did sleep in a couple of hours but it’s still dark out and it’s raining. Earlier thunder woke me up but I went right back to sleep. I was thinking blueberry picking would be nice to do on my day off but not in the rain. Maybe I will tomorrow. I also wanted to try my new Worx grass trimmer which I received yesterday. I wonder why they don’t call it a weed whacker anymore. I love the thought of whacking the weeds, sounds fun. Trimming the grass sounds like work.

I’ll probably opt for housework and maybe starting on the long overdue process of throwing things out from the basement. There’s boxes down there that haven’t been opened since I moved here over 14 years ago.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5269373 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Good morning Wendy.

Lucky you to have some days off. I had boxes like that in my last place but when I moved I opened them all and threw most everything out. Why do we do that, keep things we don’t use, lol?

Yesterday I stopped and watered and boy were they needing it after only 2 days. We need rain really bad but none in the forecast until middle next week.

Better get in to work, have a great day!

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5269376 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Good morning Wendy, Kathy and all…it is going to be warmer today so I am glad I got what I did done yesterday. I still have some more trimming to do and of course more watering. I am concerned about the plants not getting watered while I am gone but there isn’t much I can do about that. But with my luck it will rain all of the time I am at the beach so I hope the rain comes up this far too. It would be so much easier to stay home but I am committed to this so I have to do it. There is a storm brewing out in the Atlantic with a chance of turning into a tropical storm so I may be home earlier than planned anyway. What will be will be. Have a wonderful day!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5269392 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  Another chilly start (53º) to a day that is supposed to be sunny and 70.  I think there have been 2 days in July that I haven’t worn a jacket or sweater in the morning.  That just doesn’t seem right.

Wendy…we have always called them weed eaters….I love that term….lol.  I hope you have an enjoyable day off…..glad to hear you get your new toy already.

Kathy….we also need rain very badly……I dread paying our water bill this month.  We haven’t had any rain to catch in my barrels, so we’ve been using city water.

Molly….you can’t worry about watering at home or Betha and other things while you are gone….just go and have fun.  I have found that if you move pots under the shade trees and water them well, they do better while you are gone.

Another work day for me.  Have a great day everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5269412 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  52 and the sun is showing up now and then.  Got quite a bit done yesterday.  Finally got the planters at the top of the driveway planted.  Not sure how much they will do since it is so late but at least there is some color in them now.  Also got all the grass pulled from the side yard so that is ready to hopefully get set up tomorrow before work.  I think I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I have a plan but like all my plans I am sure I will fall short of all that I want to accomplish this summer.

Worked last night so as usual am moving a little slow this morning.  Have to water before I go to work this morning and that will be about it.  If we don’t get the predicted showers this afternoon would like to come home and get the lawn mowed.  I have a new trimmer ordered since I can’t start my gas one.  I bought it about 5 years ago and I think I have ran one tank of gas through it.  I am tired of fighting with it.

Molly, just go on vacation and enjoy.  You need it.

Wendy sorry you are getting rain for your time off.

Kathy, you sure need rain.  We have had a lot of days with rain but it hasn’t amounted to much.

Charlene, I am glad I have my own water with no water bill.  However if my pump were to go I am sure I would be wishing I had city water.

Have a great day.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5269416 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

The sun is out now. It may dry enough to get out later this afternoon.

#5269419 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good morning!  I’m bright and early this morning.  I have to go for my ultra sound just after lunch.  In the meantime I’m waiting for the rain to start.  Right now the sun is out, but not for long.

Wendy, my works is out of order…for now.  I called the company, and must say the customer service people are great.  While on the phone, the young man asked me to plug in the charger.  When I told him the color of the light, he said there was nothing wrong with my works but the charger was faulty.  They will send me a new one.  Plus he gave me the address in case I need service.  If that still does not work, they will send me a new trimmer.

Karen, wish I could send you some rain.  Love your little night blooming ‘weed’…lol.

Molly, I had to trim by hand yesterday.  I’m waiting for the new charger.

Charlene, hope you have an easy day at work.  You mentioned asters yesterday.  I will gather seeds from both the purple and pink.  I will gladly send you them.  I know the Mammoth Quill did not do well, but these asters are great.  I have two plants that reseeded themselves from last year, but because they were in the ground, they will bloom at the normal time.  These that you see were started in the house.  By the way, just to let you know…..I planted these flowers on both sides of the house.  I kind of neglect to water once in a while.  I noticed that asters don’t like too much water.

Well I had better get started.  After the hospital appointment I’m going to Costco with my best friend.  She is the one taking me to the hospital.  Normally my DD would take me, but with the young ones, I don’t want them around hospitals.  These days there are just too many viruses hanging around.

Have a great day!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5269420 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Bette, I guess you can say I’m a bit antsy today….forgot to mention your post.  Yes, you are lucky not to have to pay for water.  We sure don’t have a shortage of it.  These days it rains during the week and the weekends are beautiful.  Strange how when I worked it was the opposite.  I always waited for the weekend….yet it was a wet one….often.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5269421 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I had a problem with the first Worx I bought too. I called the company and they sent me a new one(at no charge) and that has been great. They changed the chargers for them because they had so much trouble with the old ones. They also sent me enough strings to last a long time for my trouble. That is one of the things I love about it..you don’t have to fool with the strings, pull out the old one and put the new one in.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5269424 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Stella I’m so glad you called them. I was thinking of you when I read about the three-year warranty.

#5269427 Report Abuse
    anky37
    anky37
    Participant

Good morning all. I see we’re all up & running already. Not me! Sitting here on the computer for 2 hours now. I uploaded pics (which i’ll post) & I did laundry in between. I do need to get moving. Going to mom’s today. Have only been there once all summer, with DB in hospital. At 4pm I’m heading out to the county fair to scoop ice cream with a friend. Actually she scoops, I’ll collect money!! I am hoping to hop in the pool for a bit when I get back. Haven’t had time for the pool at all! I was off yesterday & til I got home the cloud cover made it too cool. Not that it’s going to be super hot today either. But I would like to get in it.

Wendy enjoy your days no matter what the weather is like! I love blueberry picking! I only got out once. The owner of the patch I go to called & said the birds were taking all the berries & she was done. I got 10#. I would have liked more.

Molly just water everything really well, do what Charlene said where you can & go enjoy yourself!!! You surely earned it!

Bette– same to you– about your gardens. Right now you are doing what you have to. And I know you all take great pride in your flowers, & you should. But right now this is what you need to do. I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think.

Stella what is the ultrasound for? Hope all is well. Have fun afterwards! Which is sounds like you always do!! :)

Kathy I think we all have things we could get rid of. I think it’s something mental for our parents– DON’T THROW THAT OUT!! I MIGHT NEED IT!!! LOL  I hope you get rain soon. But not too much!!

I guess I best get moving. I want to fry bacon for DH’s supper tonight & I want to leave here by 10am.

have a good day all

photo signature_1.gif

#5269431 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Good morning.  Moving slow this morning.  My shoulders hurt from lifting cabinets and doors over my head and pushing them up while dh screwed them in.  It went pretty well, but we had a few issues to solve with getting face frames lined up.  It’s amazing how a square corner just really isn’t square!  All the uppers are up and the bases are coming in today.  Yippee!  Hopefully that will go smoothly.  Ds is helping dh haul them in as they are huge and heavy.

Beyond the kitchen not much else.  Hope it’s a great day for all!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5269535 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone. Another decent day here but will get hotter again in the next few days. Rain was forcasted for yesterday and today but so far nothing.

Not much going on in my corner of the world, just stopped by to say hello.

Enjoy your day.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.