Vegetable of the week—Peas

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Vegetable of the week—Peas

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

It’s time to plant the peas.  If the frost is out of the ground and you can till or turn your garden it is probably time to plant the peas.  They are another cool weather crop that don’t mind their feet being cold.  Actually they will germinate anytime after the soil temperature is about 45 degrees 2 inches into the soil.  Don’t worry peas can withstand a light frost without damage.

There are many type of garden peas available from early season crops to intermediate and late depending on you climate.  Besides the common green garden pea now many are also raising snow peas.

I have not grown peas in a few years but do plant to this season.  The seed is old so I plan on chitting or green sprouting my seed before I plant them.  This not only will let me know if the seed is still viable but it will also give the peas a head start.

If you have never use chitting before check out All About Seed as I am going to start a thread over there about it.

Are you growing peas?  Share your experiences with use.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5122873 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Bette, I have had a pack of peas on my kitchen counter for about a week, waiting for me to plant them. Hopefully that will get done Friday if not before, because I suspect we will go straight from winter into summer. They won’t like that, so they will need to grow fast. Just hope I’m not too late again this year. I love to eat peas while I’m working outside like I do cherry tomatoes. Just pick them, pop them open and eat them raw. A good little snack.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5122889 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I haven’t grown peas in several years now other than some crowder peas but thats an entirely different pea from what your talking about here. When I have grown them they definitely are a cool weather crop but they are so good as well.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5122910 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

The only peas that I like is the Sugar Snaps.  We have grown the Little Marvels, eh, I could take them or leave them.  Preferably,  leave them!

Two years ago we did two plantings on the Snaps, early (like we always do) and a later for fall.  There was quite a differance in taste.  The later ones just did not have the sweetness so, we won’t be wasting our time again.

I just am not a fan of shelled peas for taste and if I did like them, I just don’t have time to shell them so wouldn’t grow them again.

#5122931 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Leslie good luck with getting your peas in soon.  I don’t have to worry about it for at least another month then I hope I a busy planting a lot of cold weather crops.

Steve, I love fresh peas but just haven’t grown them in a few years.  Usually it is because I don’t get to tilling the garden as early as I should.

Dena, I have never grown the sugar snap.  Not even something I buy in the store even though I do a lot of Asian cooking where I could use them.

photo signature_3.gif

#5122973 Report Abuse

mockingbird_ca_f
    Participant

I live in the desert in Southern Cali..A few days ago i started picking pea’s..

#5123146 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Mockingbird, nice to see you back to vegetable gardening.  Hope you stay around.

I can just taste those peas you just picked.  Boy would I love some.  Since there is still over a foot of snow on the garden and night time temperatures still in single digits I guess it will be a while for me.

photo signature_3.gif

#5123642 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

When I lived in NY I planted peas every spring. Unfortunately I had a daughter who loved them and she would pick them as fast as they developed and ate them right in the garden. I buy the frozen sugar pod peas and I do like them as well as bags of frozen peas as long as they are not overcooked.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5125268 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I did get my peas planted yesterday, sort of. I had a pounding headache all day but was forcing myself to cut the shrubs and start bleaching the house. Then I remembered that I had started the chitting method on the peas and decided to check on them. Of course they were sprouting so I dug a shallow trench and dropped them in and watered them. I didn’t feel like preparing the entire bed where I put them but the ground was already soft at least. I also planted them too thick, so if all of them make it I may move some of them later. Hopefully I will have some peas to snack on when I’m out planting the warm weather crops.

I plan to get the other cool crops in the ground this weekend. I guess I will have to take a little break from the painting to get that done.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5125537 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I got mine out too late last year but the hummingbirds really loved the pea blooms. Not sure I’ll even bother with peas this year.

#5126392 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Planted my snow peas yesterday.  Didn’t make it by St. Patricks Day this year.  Last year I see in my journal they went in on March 11th and I was picking them on May 23rd.  Doubt that will happen this year.  I also got in the bok choy and lettuce I started inside and planted mesclun, spinach, and baby leaf lettuce.  I left some beds empty because it won’t be long before I need the space for summer crops.

My Blog

photo signature_1.gif

#5128707 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

bump

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.