Vegetable of the week—-onions

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Vegetable of the week—-onions

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

To me onions are one of the most versatile vegetables in the kitchen.  They are a staple must in my kitchen.  Onions like the Brassicas  that have been discussed the past 3 weeks like to be started in cool weather.  Now is the time to be considering what kind of onions you want to plant for this season.  They may be started from seed in the house early to be set out as soon as the soil can be worked or in longer growing seasons they can be started from seed directly sown in the garden anytime after the soil reaches 60 degrees.  Mail order and garden centers will also sell these plants all ready for the ground.  Another way to grow onions is from sets.  Sets are especially popular in areas with short growing seasons.  One care that must be taken with sets is that they don’t form a seed stem.  If one begins just cut it off.

Onions prefer soil that has been amended with rich compost or dehydrated manure and has good drainage.  It is beneficial to  feed with a well balanced fertilizer as the bulbs begin to form.

Last summer I harvested over 20 pounds of onions and am still cooking with them today.

These are just a few of last years harvest.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5112109 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Wow Bette!

You are so right about onions!  They are just a MUST have for me.  Last year onions did not do well.  We didn’t have a good drainage system and with the rain it just rotted them.  Remedied the water issue and replanted.  Had a fairly good crop, different sizes but it was worth it!

We plant Red ( which I love for Kabobs and thin sliced for salads), Yellow (all around good onion) and Green Onions (I love the green part for garnish on mashed potatoes,  baked potatoes etc., and whole sliced for dishes, oops forgot Ham Roll-ups)…

The other nice thing is the deer don’t bother them.

#5112865 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I too love onions. They are used in so many different ways and come in taste from sweet to strong. As for me personally I love the strong ones. The last few years I have been growing the red ones and they seem to do better for me. Last year my onions weren’t very good at all. We had way too much rain and they tasted watery and had very little flavor. I threw most of them away but hopefully as soon as Tuesday I am going to plant my onions. Heres some I grew a couple of years ago.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5113025 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Dena, there are so many different types out there to choose from.  Steve, noticed in your picture one thing that I didn’t point out.  As the onions grow the come up out of the soil.  Don’t cover them up.  The need the sun to mature properly.

A point to consider when deciding which variety to grow is long day or short day growing.  Long day onions are more suited for the north while short day are better in the south.

I like the sweet onions but they are not as good a keeper as some of the yellow onions.

I also grow perennial or potato onions.  The grow the same as the oriental bunching onion but rather being used as green onions they as suppose to be the best storage onion.  The are planted in the fall the same as garlic and for every bulb planted they will develop over the summer into 5-6 onions in a bunch.  So far this winter they have kept very well and they have a strong flavor.  They are smaller than some of the reds and yellows but well worth the money and space.  Once you grow them you have your own starts for the next year.

photo signature_3.gif

#5113091 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Bette I wonder if the bunching onions you are talking about is the same as what my Grandpa used to grow that he called multipliers. I keep thinking I want some of those but for what ever reason just never have gotten any of those.

Community Team Member

#5113249 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steve it is very possible they are the same.  However you need to be careful if you order some since the newer oriental onions also go by the name bunching onions and perennial onions.  I found the only way to be sure is to look for potato onions.

photo signature_3.gif

#5113263 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I won’t order any no way. They sell them around here at seed stores in the fall.

Community Team Member

#5113612 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I need to get my onions transplanted. I hope I haven’t lost many in the chaos of the past week. I started at least 4 different varieties.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5113721 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Leslie, they are pretty tough.  I am sure they will do just fine.

photo signature_3.gif

#5115183 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Onions are one of my favorites to grow. The tolerate both the heat of summer and the cool of spring. They are very hardy and easy to grow, and virtually no pests (insects, animals, diseases, etc.) harry onion crops. I need to start my onion seeds as soon as possible. I always start them about this time in March in foam egg cartons.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5115294 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Junior, good luck with you seed.  I have given up on growing onions from seed.  They don’t seem to do well for me.

photo signature_3.gif

#5116254 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Thanks, Wilderness_NY!I have been doing onions for a few years now, and the majority of my seeds always germinate. Hopefuly they do well this year, also.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5125541 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I can’t find the candy onions at our local stores, so I order seed and start them from seed and then plant in the garden. I guess I need to go on and get some started (even if it is late) cause can’t imagine summer without my candy onions.

#5125778 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I think I lost all of my onions except the green bunch ones when I transplanted them. All that trouble trying to separate those long tangled blades and they didn’t make it. I guess I will be just using the bunch ones, along with my chives, to add a little flavor to dishes.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5128705 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

bump

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.