Vegetable Of The Week (4/14/14) Potatoes

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Vegetable Of The Week (4/14/14) Potatoes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cookielei_IN cookielei_IN 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

This week veggie of the week is potatoes. While I haven’t grown any now for several years its hard to beat a good potato fresh from the garden. The only reason I haven’t grown them in the last few years is since my Mom passed I have no good place to store them. You can get what is referred to as seed potatoes from your local seed store. Also you can buy some potato sets at any of the big box stores. I always preferred the seed potatoes. Begin by cutting up the seed potato so that theres at least one eye in each piece.  Plant in the ground   a good 2-3 weeks before the last expected frost date. After the potatoes begin to grow you can fertilize them with your favorite garden fertilizer. As the potatoes grow you will need to hill them up. Potatoes that grow near the top of the ground and are not covered by dirt will turn green and not be good to eat. After the potatoes bloom you can “steal” some small potatoes from your plants by digging with your hand for a couple of potatoes near the top of the soil. The remaining ones in the hill will even grow bigger since “stealing” a few leaves more energy for the plant to put into the ones that are left. After the vines have died you can then dig your potatoes and store them in a cool dry place such as a root cellar.

There many different varieties of potatoes and I’m not about to try and mention all of them here. My favorites to grow were always the kennebec potato. They always seemed to grow lots of different sizes so I would have some for baking and other sizes for pretty much anything you would want.

Heres a picture of some I grew several years ago. In this picture are kennebecs and red pontiac.

Theres so much more to tell about potatoes but I’ll stop here for now. Tell us about your experiences at growing potatoes and if you have any questions don’t be afraid to ask them. Someone will have an answer for you and if you have pictures we’d love to see them as well.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5131331 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I love potatoes and wish I had planted some. Too late here now, though. I could do sweet potatoes but didn’t have any luck with them a few years ago here, and no real room for them. I’m not sure where I’m going to plant all of the veggies I have as it is.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5131861 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Steve we haven’t had any luck with potatoes or onions but do well with every thing else.

I did pick up a small bag of Yupon  seed potatoes at wal mart about two weeks ago and planted them. , I made some Potato salad with this kind of potatoes one time and it was the best PS that I have ever eaten…I hope I have the name right.  And I hope that I get some potatoes too.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5132020 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steve, I have been growing potatoes for the past few years with varying success.  I have eliminated them from the garden this year.  Last year was a bust.  When I was growing up we always raised Chippewa which was very similar to the Kennebec.  My Dad, Grandfather and Uncle used to plant about 200 pounds every year for the 3 families.  It finally became impossible to get the Chippewa locally so we switched to the Kennebec.  The only draw back to them was I always get a lot of hollow ones with brown in the center.  Of late I have had the red and Russets.

I did a thread on All about seed a while ago about Chitting.  This is a great method to give your potatoes a jump start on growing.    Here is the link.  http://www.birdsandblooms.com/community/topic/chitting-seed/

One comment on cutting the potatoes and preserving at least one eye, it is good to cut the day before you plant and let the cut heal.

Janet, Yukon Gold are a what is considered a Wax potato and are excellent for potato salad.  Also they are very thin skinned so no peeling is necessary.  I don’t believe they are a good keeper however.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5133184 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

Steve

We do the Pontiacs and Kennebecs too.  Plus we have a lot of mystery potatoes that come up in the front garden from composting.  So those are always a surprise once harvested.  Usually they are the Russets and Yukons.

Once the mystery potatoes starting coming up, we dig them up and move them due to space up here.

Last year we had some hiccups, but got the drainage issues taken care of, replanted a second crop and got quite a nice little harvest.

The nice thing for us, the Deer don’t bother them.

#5133633 Report Abuse
    cookielei_IN
    cookielei_IN
    Participant

We just planted our potatoes the other day We plant kennebecs  pontiacs and Yukon gold We have had a potato bug promblem  and  what we were using to kill the potato bugs did not work. However  last year we found an organic spray that works for us. It is rather expensive but one application killed the bugs and they did not come back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.