Vegetable Of The Week (3/31/14) Radish

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Vegetable Of The Week (3/31/14) Radish

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

This weeks vegetable of the week is radishes. Radishes are an easy to grow early season crop. They are quick maturing and great in salads and vegetable trays.

You can plant radishes before the last frost as some frost won’t hard radishes and also in warmer areas you can grow some as a fall crop. Sow seeds about ½ inches deep. Radishes germinate and grow quickly. Some varieties can grow in as little as 3 weeks. Its good to plant a few at time in succession plantings for a continuing  harvest during the spring. You also may plant them in late summer for a fall crop. Radishes are also good to plant  with other crops such as squash and cucumbers. I even plant some around my cabbage and broccoli. By the time any of the above crops are beginning to grow good radishes are already mature and ready for harvest. If radishes are left in the ground too long  they will split and become woody. They are also good to plant near your carrots as a good marker to see where your carrots are planted. Go ahead and try a few radishes. Besides tasting great in salads they also are attractive in a salad.

Show us your pictures and share you stories on growing radishes. Heres some I grew a couple years ago.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

• This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5125775 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I have never grown radishes because I don’t care for them, but DGD#1 loves them so I guess I should have started some.

Maybe next year, or I will try to remember to keep it in mind for fall when I will hopefully be done with all of the painting, flooring, and repairs on my house.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5125806 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I love radishes.  They are one of the few things that I will buy in the winter.  I use them in salad for color rather than tomatoes in the winter.  I plant them all summer long a few at a time so have them fresh well into fall. As Steve said a little frost won’t hurt them.

A very popular English afternoon snack is slice radishes on bread and butter.  I love them that way.  I have also seen some recipes where they are sauteed which I want to try.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5127456 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I grow radishes.  I mix the seed with my carrots, so they break the ground for the carrots to grow and also thins them out when you pull the radishes.  That is a trick I learned from my Mom.

I Love radish sandwiches….at noon I often have a fried egg sandwich with sliced radishes on it.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5128216 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Charlene thats great advice about putting the carrots and radishes together. Also since carrots are slow to germinate and radishes are much faster at germinating it helps to make where your carrots are in case like me you have a hard time remembering things like that.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5128710 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

bump

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.