Unwanted birds

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Unwanted birds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Spider 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Spider
    Participant

Is anyone else having problems with grackles, cowbirds, starlings and red wing blackbirds around their feeders.  They empty the regular feeders and the go after the Thistle seed. I’ve never had this problem before. I live in southern NJ.

#5273388 Report Abuse

I am having a problem with blackbirds cleaning everything out,  four tube feeders all empty. I will be leaving them empty so they clean up whats on the ground before I fill them again this week end.

It seems to be a little cooler for this time of the year. I think they may know something I don’t know about fall weather coming sooner than usual, we”ll see soon enough.

I live in NORTHERN N.J.( morris county) where are you from?

#5273397 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Bring your feeders in for a few days…. when there is no food source they will leave.

They are heading south already… and need food sources… so make none available.  Your regular birds will come right back as soon as the hog birds leave…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5273414 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

I have the starlings in the winter months, the RWBB are gone for this year.

Yes bring in the feeders and just maybe they will forget about your feeders.

Carol

#5273425 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I have grackles, and red wing blackbird occasionally.  The grackles don’t stay around if there isn’t a lot of seeds in feeders.  Maybe they will go to the cornfields when the corn is harvested.  But they are pesky birds and clean out and eat any feeder they can.

#5275198 Report Abuse

Spider
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I have tried that and have lost most of the birds that I really want to see at my feeders. When I look for the unwanted birds and see none, no sooner do I put out some seed, they are back. I think they have a spy that just watching and rings the food bell.

What I don’t understand is why all of a sudden there are such numbers. I don’t see their normal food source disappearing in the area. There is still a creek and marshes, plus farm fields not more then 3/4 miles away. Is it that they are just lazy or smarter then I think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.