Universal Health Care

Home Forums Backyard Chat News & Current Events Universal Health Care

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ma-shirley NC
    Participant

AKA Obama care.

I read an article form the Washington Post today about Obama Care. The Congressional Budget Office just released a report that says 2.3 million workers will leave the work force because of Obama Care.  The Post is a liberal magazine so, of course, they tried to put a positive spin on it. 

I’m going to quote part of the article but it’s too long to use all of it.

Quote: “One big issue: the health care subsidies in the law. That’s a substantial benefit that decreases as people earn more money, so at a certain point,a person has to choose between earning more money or continuing to get maximum help with health insurance payments. In other words, people might work longer and harder, but actually earn no more, or even less money.  That is a disincentive to work.  (The same thing happens when people qualify for food stamps or other social services) 

Thus some people might decide to work part time, not full time, in order to keep getting health care subsidies. 

Some people might believe that the overall impact of the health law on employment is bad because it would be encouraging people—- some 2.3 million of them— not to work. 

Moreover, the argument could go, this would hurt the nation’s budget because 2.3 million people will not  be paying taxes. That’s certainly an intellectually solid argument— though others might counter that that universal health care is worth a reduction in overall employment—–but it’s not at all the same as saying that all those jobs would be lost. Some jobs will go away, but the actual number is unclear because of the unknown interaction between part-time and full-time work.”   End quote

One person commented: ” No, that’s not all that it says. In fact, as this article makes painfully clear, what the report says is that many people will decide to let other people subsidize their insurance – and hence their overall lifestyle- rather than work “Longer and harder to earn no more or even less money.”

What I came away with: 

Sam is working forty hours a week. He has to pay for his health insurance. If he cuts back to twenty five or thirty hours a week, he will make less money but the government will pay for his and his family’s health insurance.  He will actually have more money to spend. 

Joe is working so that his employer will pay for his health insurance. He can quit work, “Pursue his dreams” (direct quote from the article)  and let the government pay for his health insurance. 

Bob works fifty or sixty hours a week to provide for his family. The government is going to raise his taxes.  He will have less money to spend on his family. 

Tom makes $50,000 a year. His wife works part time. Between the two of them, they make enough to pay their bills and have a few luxuries.  They pay their own medical insurance.  The government is going to raise their taxes to pay for health insurance for those people who decided to work part time or quit work  altogether so the government will subsidize their health insurance. 

I think that if the government is going to be in the health insurance business, it should look at what Canada does; provide health care for everybody from conception to the grave. 

photo siggy1.gif

#4929915 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

Well said.

photo signature_1.gif

#4929924 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

It is so mixed up it has everyone mixed up.  Where is the incentive to work when things are being run like this?  No wonder people are running for a hand out; it is simpler than to hold a job and loose out on everything anyway.  Doesn’t make sense what they are doing.

Everything is screwed up………………….the younger generation will end up paying the price for all the wrongdoings of the government.

#4930782 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

There are already people living off the system, couples that don’t get married, three or four generations of them. The more children that a woman has, the more money and assistance she gets. We older people are paying  as much tax, if not more, than younger lower paid workers.  We’re also paying for schooling for those with more children than they can afford, it’s a vicious circle. We pay tax on my pension, SS and on my wife’s earnings and SS that starts the end of this month. It would’ve been nice for all of my insurance and medical  to be “free”, we don’t get included in any of the ACA coverage.

Terry

#4930877 Report Abuse

ma-shirley NC
    Participant

Terry, I know of families that fit the description you just gave, generation after generation living off welfare. But what can we do about it?  You start out with a couple, they have five kids. The five kids all have five kids each. That’s thirty two people in just three generations.  And they all get to vote.

Maybe if Joyce quits work they will pay for y’all’s insurance. LOL

photo siggy1.gif

#4931092 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Shirley….We would still be making a little over $45K, that’s way over the  upper income  limit, we’re  a family of two and both over 65. We’ll just have to continue paying for all of our  “distant” family members  :shock:

Terry

#4931719 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

My Ins. is thru my deceased husband’s retirement benefits.  I pay a small portion of the premium & they pay the rest.  As far as I know, that’s not changing or I would have heard.  .  It is all very confusing.  I have heard people say they cannot afford Ins, even with Obama Care so they are just going  to pay the penalty becasue that is cheaper.  I  think there is something wrong when people are required to pay a penalty if they decide not to have Ins.  I understand the reasoning behind it but still seems wrong to me.

o go along with what Terry said; I know somebody  (a cousin in-law) that was raised in a poor part of the country & grew up on hand outs & Govt. benefits.  When she married into the family & applied for these various programs she would get mad when they turned her down because her husband made too much money for that.  She felt entitled to these things because that is what she was raised on.   Can’t really say much against  her for that.  It is the way she was raised &  used to living & really didn’t know any other way, I guess.   Everybody she knew growing up lived that way.

I wonder, if,when a new President comes in if he, or she, will do away with this program?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4931994 Report Abuse

ma-shirley NC
    Participant

I heard a lady say that if you didn’t get health insurance, the government would get it for you then take it out of your tax refund.  I don’t know where she got her information. 

photo siggy1.gif

#4936205 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I hadn’t heard that Shirley.  Whatever happened to Freedom of Choice in this country?  Oops, I guess I’m moving into dangerous (political) territory so I better be quiet.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4944545 Report Abuse
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    fishseddyNYzn5A
    Participant

We are now allowed to talk about politics, as long as we play nice.

photo signature_1.gif

#4948201 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

That is the way of life here in our county for many generations.  Our county is the poorest in NYState, and maybe even in the country for our size.  Medicaid is high here, too, for our county.

Now they are thinking of make a residential requirement in order to be able to collect welfare benefits….the reason for one is, so many just jump the state line from PA when their benefits run out there and come here, drive down the road a few miles to the county courthouse and sign up for benefits.  Many have a pick up truck loaded with all their belongings (I have seen this myself).  Then after they finish signing up for their benefits, they come to the school and register their kids and they always told us they’d just come from the courthouse.

So they should have a residential requirement and that would cut down on them coming over the state line and getting benefits when they sign up, pronto.  The county legislators are waking up……..but some (legislators)  don’t think they should do this our paper said.  I suppose they are hurting feelings or stepping on toes.  It is about time they woke up.

I know families that have done this for years one generation after another.  And, the more kids they have, the more money and services they get.  They know how to work the system, too.  For a while some were made to work a certain # of hours weekly to qualify to get their benefits, but not sure that is in effect anymore.  We used to have some at school in summer that would work on the maintenance staff.  Well, they have to be watched/monitored, and some were caught stealing from the teacher’s desks/areas while cleaning in the summer.  They were hiding items outside the building to take with them until one of the janitors caught them.  So not sure that program was too good when you have to watch them like a hawk every minute.

It is a way of life with some/many of them.  I do think the residency requirement would be a good one, and take care of the ones jumping state line, at least, and would pertain to anyone coming in this county looking for something for nothing.  I don’t begrudge someone who has lost job or down on their luck for getting help, but I do the ones that make it their only way of life forever and they know no different as they were brought up that way.  I see them in the stores here and they live good, too, on my dollar!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.