Unhatched Eggs?

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Unhatched Eggs?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

It’s been over 2 weeks now & the dove eggs have not hatched yet. I’m getting a little concerned now as the parents have been extremely attentive to the eggs & it is so very hot out that I thought the eggs would be fully/well incubated at this point?…from what I read, anyway.

Have you ever seen eggs that didn’t hatch? How long do the parent birds sit on the non~viable eggs before they give up? Will they leave the eggs in the nest if they do not hatch? Thanks for any info.

#5263520 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

I just Googled “How long does it take dove eggs to hatch”, and learned that it takes 14 – 17 days.  I expect you have already done the same thing though.   I don’t know anything about dove behavior, but they probably will keep trying to hatch the eggs if they do not hatch soon.  I think I would wait a few days, and if the eggs don’t hatch I’d remove them from the nest.

Community Team Member

#5263547 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Thank you so much Jo Ann for answering my question so quickly. I think I may be filled with more anticipation than the parents at this point;-) Hope you are enjoying a lovely w/e!

#5265590 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Just in case you check this again Jo Ann; the Dove babies have hatched. Apparently the parents continue to sit on them (perhaps a protective measure?). It is hard to see them except when the momma dove is feeding them her milk? I just thought the parent birds were getting a bit plump from sitting on the eggs so much but it appears they have growing babies hidden under those wings.

Reminds me of a picture I saw on Pinterest awhile back (B&B probably posted this picture). It was a parent dove sitting on a wire with fledglings under each wing. The picture was taken from below looking up. I remember being awestruck by that picture b/c of the Dove’s love, care & protection that was so remarkably captured by the photographer.

#5265629 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Both the male and female produce and feed the babies  “crop/breasts milk”.

Terry

#5265632 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Whoa Terry,

You just taught me something seriously important & good to know. And I thank you for that information. I did not know the poppa dove produces crop milk too? Is there a way to tell the parents apart?

#5265641 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Good news!  The thought that the babies were hidden underneath the adults never occurred to me.  I guess I am accustomed to seeing the adults leaving the babies in the nest while they are on a mission to find food for the little ones.

Community Team Member

#5266421 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Thanks Jo Ann! Me too, I never dreamed they would continue to sit on the live babies all day long (we’ve had some fairly hot & muggy days).

Today, I looked out & one of the babies was sitting alongside the parent dove. The baby doves are getting too big to cover them both. They are really long bodied birds.

Yesterday, there was a bully bird attack on a nest just across the street. I could hear & see the black birds gathering & was quite concerned they might be bold enough to try to get my (kind of possessive at this point) nesting doves. It was a horrific sounding attack & I could see it sent shivers through our nesting dove parent…as well as me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.