TV cable is going up beginning in Jan. 2015

Home Forums Backyard Chat General TV cable is going up beginning in Jan. 2015

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Our monthly cable cost is rising by $9.00 or thereabouts.  A few cents for this, that and the other thing, more for rental of modem for internet monthly, certain sports programming costs cable has to pay to bring them to customer(s) with whatever level TV package customer has.

This is Time-Warner that is increasing monthly fee.  All others will follow no doubt, in due time, as it usually happens that way.

That is our only entertainment so guess can’t complain too loudly.  We don’t travel or aren’t extravagant in other ways, so the monthly cost is not the worst thing to happen.

#5328402 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Our cable bill is already $95.00 for just the TV, it better not go up or I will cancel it.  Nothing good on the TV anyhow.  We do have 3 TV’s, but still high, nothing special, no HBO, or Showtime, etc.

I will find some other means of entertainment.

Carol

#5328405 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

My Directv went up on me when I moved!  Had to pay for my satellite dish & installation, too!  Didnt have to before!  Grrrr!  I suppose we will all cause a big uproar about it soon & fcc and other regulators will have to step in to help curb rising costs!  I hope!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by margba margba.
    #5328409 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I want to try a free device.  But I know they are trying to get rid of free tv, too!  Geeze!

#5328422 Report Abuse

Missylynne
    Participant

As of last week, we no longer have cable but still have internet. I asked DH if we could go in and see if we could do that, and lo and behold, we could. He didn’t we could, but it didn’t hurt to ask. There really isn’t much on anyway, and there are at 2 shows that I watch, and I can just get updates, or see them later on the internet. Our local news is streamed online, and I like to watch the news out of Chicago, and now since WGN America doesn’t show that anymore, I can see that also online. Hopefully this time next year, we will have cable back.

Laurel

#5328426 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Mine is $102 already, threatening to get rid of it so if son wants his wrestling he’d better be shelling out some money. Actually he agreed to pay half but I forget to collect, guess I’d better start.

#5329010 Report Abuse

Millo2DE
    Participant

They said last year they were going to raise it and DH called to cut to bare bones channels, and they lowered it for  him. Said it was only for one year, but he will call back then. It was funny the lower price they offered was lower than we had been paying in the first place. I will have to check with him which service it is.

#5329012 Report Abuse

JSong
    Participant

I know.  But I don’t know how some people threatened to have theirs cut off & then their cable fees didn’t get raised.

If I had said that – they’d cut mine off.

#5329689 Report Abuse
    Bonitading_NJ
    Bonitading_NJ
    Participant

My cable bill is $121 a month, and that is just for basic cable. Plus the cable company didn’t accept their viacom bid and got rid of about 16 good channels only to put a few more sports channels on. I told my DD I might just have to get rid of my cable soon. I hardly watch tv, but Lilli enjoys her shows. I can watch movies for free online, so who needs it.

#5329697 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Ours is $156.00 per month, which includes internet, too.  Now it will go up another $9.00.   The big-wigs collect big salaries/bonuses and whatever else though.  That is part of the cost hike, no doubt.

The satellite companies keep raising their rates, too, so guess as long as you have TV it will keep going up no matter what you use, cable or dish.  It should be controlled better than it is when it comes to the increases; way too much.

#5329699 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well ours is $85 a month.. that is Dish… we are going to re-think it.. since we don’t watch 75% of the stations… they should offer what you want to see…. we are paying for channels no one wants.. that is so stupid…

Hi Laurel…. so good to see you..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5329701 Report Abuse
    Bonitading_NJ
    Bonitading_NJ
    Participant

Our cable company got rid of the only channel I really ever did watch, TVLand, plus the other one I can’t recall the name of at the moment, but it also played all the old tv sitcoms. Now I have nothing to watch except for disney Jr. when Lilli is over. They got rid of NickJr. too and some of her favorite shows were on that channel also. blah!

#5329894 Report Abuse
    Janet
    Janet
    Participant

I wonder why any of us pay for Cable or direct tv etc…..I thought when Cable first came out years ago that it was so we wouldn’t have to watch commercials…….now that is a laugh….the stations used to have one, maybe two commercials but have you noticed that we pay for about 45 minutes of commercials which we don’t want to see and about 15 minutes of a program per hour….I swear sometimes there are 15 to 20 commercials that have to be bleeped out or listened too every few minutes and then a few minutes of the show and then they are repeated again and again within the hour…..I guess we should all go on a strike and not have Cable at all…  They make enough money on Commercials that we should get the Cable FREE….I pay $138 a month for Cable, internet and home phone combination ….We get over 100 channels probably but only watch 10, if that many.

I get mad at my own self for setting through all these commercials and letting that dag box control my daily doings as much as I do.  and then there is B&B that take up a good bit of my time, which I enjoy….but there is so much to do and so little time to do it in…..LOL
    Happy New Year Y’All  !

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5329972 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I just have their basic and Internet. 78.00. I haven’t heard on an increase yet but my monthly bill will be here in the next few days.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5330039 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

More advertising shown than anything else anymore.  5 or 6 ads in a row every few minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.