Tomato Talk: What Are Your Favorite Varieties?

Home Forums Gardening Veggie Gardening Tomato Talk: What Are Your Favorite Varieties?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Welcome to those joining from the Birds & Blooms Garden Club e-newsletter! Tell us which tomatoes you love to grow, and offer any tips for success. Got photos? We’d love to see them too! (Click here for help with posting photos.)

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5156724 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

For canning and salsa I like San Marzano, Manitoba Bush and for slicing Early Girls. I also grow romas for canning.  For cherry tomatoes I like Sweet Millions, Tumbler and this year I am trying a new one for me – Black Cherry. I went to a tomato and oil tasting display in SanFrancisco a few years ago and I tried the Zebra tomato, which was very sweet. I tried it here, but it wasn’t the same.  It is eaten when green. I grow a lot of tomatoes, both in the ground and in containers on the patio.

#5156806 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I love big boy, cherry toms & plum!  Best tip I have is to spread coffee grinds around them & use Miracle grow for veggies or the one for tomatoes.  A Tum cant hurt to plant w/ them.  Forgotvto plant mine w/ the Tums but I read you can still just stick a Tum in the ground at the base of the tom plant even though you may have planted the tomato plant a month ago!

#5157000 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I love a fresh tomato out of the garden. In fact I will only eat home grown tomatoes. Each year I grow a variety of varieties but the one variety I grow every year is better boy. They are a dependable tomato with good size and dependability. This year I  decided to cut back on my garden a bit since last summer I ended up throwing away a lot of food. In my “cut back” I think I forgot when I was doing my tomatoes about “cutting back”. Usually I grow 10-12 tomato plants but I was counting the other day and I think this year I have “cut back” to around 20 plants !!! I am growing some I have ever grown before as well as the homestead tomato that I haven’t grown in years.

Ya know I often say and wonder about city folks that don’t have a place to grow their own tomatoes if they have ever tasted a real tomato rather than those fake things in the grocery stores.

This picture is from a couple years ago and has a variety of tomatoes in the bucket.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5157017 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I am trying an heirloom kind I never heard of before!  It’s called Abe Lincoln!  Will let you all know!  I bought it from a plant stand ladt month for just $1! I had to cut back on the veggievgarden, too, as I plan to move this summer.  Will be sad to leave my little raised bed gardens!  :-(

#5157647 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I grow 3 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.  I am old fashion but they have to be red.  Next to the Italian Paste that is not on the market but handed down from an old Italian family from Italy well over 75 years ago I would say me favorite is Delicious.  Long story short I had a freeze up in my greenhouse and had to go to a local box store and buy tomato seed a few years ago and one of the tomatoes I bought was Delicious.  I checking on the internet to find out exactly what I bought I learned that they were an heirloom.  Thus getting me started in heirloom tomatoes.

They are a meaty, juicy, flavorful slicing tomato but I do also can them for cooking during the winter.

These are the delicious tomatoes.

When I plant my tomatoes I add a layer of cow manure to the bottom of the hole and in the dirt I cover them in I add a handful of Epsom Salts and garden gypsum.  The gypsum is a change this year.  Previously I have add a tums to the hole.  The purpose is to add calcium to the soil.  The Epsom Salts I use for the magnesium.  This aids the roots to absorb the nutrients from the soil.  This helps prevent blossom end rot.  After the plants have been in a couple of weeks I give them a foliage spray of fish emulsion.  It does wonders for them.  That is it for the year other than watering as needed.

The one thing I have to beware of is late blight.  Keep the leaves on the bottom that can get splashed by the soil when it rains picked off.  This year I plan to start a regiment of spraying with liquid copper sulfate to hopefully not have the blight.

Since I do save my seed from year to year the first ripe tomatoes are sacrificed for seed for next year as they are ripe before any chance of blight hitting.  That is the beauty of heirloom seed you will never have to buy seed again plus the flavor is so much better than the hybrid varieties in my opinion.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5158008 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Steve, that’s a lot of nice toms!  Bette, enjoyed your write up!  I didnt realize Delicious was heirloom, either!  I grew yellow ones one yr & didnt particularly like them!  Dont care for the orange ones, either!  I do like yellow or orange, & red bell peppers, however!

#5262242 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I grow 3 varieties of tomatoes every year…..cherry, Roma, and heirloom beafsteak.  I like the cherry ones for salads and snacks….the Romas are what I use on my sandwiches….and the beefsteak are for slicing.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5262250 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Good news…..Just put “Italian paste tomato seeds” in a search box to find several suppliers of those heirloom seeds. Tomatoes came from the Americas, the “old world” didn’t learn about tomatoes until  after Columbus took them back home after one of his trips :-)

I’m growing Husky Cherry Reds this year, we can buy homegrown Homestead and other heirloom tomatoes from farmers in this area during season :cool:

Terry

#5262293 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Terry, I have grown the Homestead in previous years and was very happy with them.

photo signature_3.gif

#5262361 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I grew homestead several years ago and I still think they were the nicest tomatoes I have ever grown. They weren’t the biggest but they were the prettiest with the fewest problems. Now this year I am again growing some homestead tomatoes. Can’t beat going out to your garden and picking a fresh tomato you have grown from seed.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5262444 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

All the talk about Homestead is making me think I may try they again next year.  Will see how everything does this year first.

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.