Toliet Paper without the cardboard..

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Toliet Paper without the cardboard..

This topic contains 33 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by CatsBirds CatsBirds 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Yep that is what they are saying..oK so it saves trees, all that stuff, but what about at the end of the roll? How does it stay there?

The “tube-less technology” behind the toilet paper is, not surprisingly, hush-hush. While the holes in the rolls may not be as round as we’re accustomed to, they will fit over standard spindles and every last square of toilet paper will be useable. And to be clear, the toilet paper will not boast recycled content. But hey, it’s a start. If the product performs well during the test run at Walmart and Sam’s Club, Kimberly-Clark may unleash tube-less toilet paper on a national — or even global scale — and extend the technology to paper towels.

Scott Naturals Tube-free toilet paper is part of Kimberly-Clark’s push (some would say a much delayed one) towards eco-innovation. Last month, the company focused on home water conservation with the introduction of the Smart Flush Bag, a water-conserving device given away for free for a limited time with the purchase of Scott Naturals toilet paper. Kimberly-Clark claims that when placed in a toilet tank, the Smart Flush Bag can help a family of four save up to 2,000 gallons of water a year.

Eliminating waste is the drive behind Scott Natural Tube-Free toilet paper. By Kimberly-Clark estimates, 17 billion toilet paper tubes are produced each year in the U.S. When placed end-to-end, those tubes could stretch to the moon and back — twice. All and all, these cardboard toilet paper tubes account for 160 million pounds of landfill-bound trash.

Georgia-Pacific — the makers of Angel Soft, Quilted Northern, and Soft ‘n Gentle toilet papers — is also working on creating eco-friendlier bathroom products.

Northeast Walmart and Sam’s Club shoppers: will you buy Scott Naturals Tube-Free toilet paper? Everyone else: do you think you’ll give it a spin if Kimberly-Clark decides to unroll the product nationally? And for more adventurous readers: have you ever entertained the thought of doing away with the tube and the toilet paper (almost) altogether and installing a bidet seat on your toile

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5270560 Report Abuse
    Carol Johnson
    Carol Johnson
    Participant

well darn there goes all the kids little craft products at school and girl scouts if they take the tubes away…

No I will not be buying any tubeless paper ..and Sharon dont you use them for kitty toys…LOL

x_3d759b92 photo x_3d759b92.gif

#5270578 Report Abuse

Iambanned
    Participant

I like trees.

<i>17 billion toilet paper tubes are produced each year in the U.S. When placed end-to-end, those tubes could stretch to the moon and back — twice. All and all, these cardboard toilet paper tubes account for 160 million pounds of landfill-bound trash.<i>

Imagine the birds will enjoy those too plus all the carbon dioxide they will take out of the air. Super idea.

My cats play with mice.

#5270585 Report Abuse
    Carol Johnson
    Carol Johnson
    Participant

I like trees too and I know that they replant when they cut them …my cats eat field mice.. and I’m still not  buying any tubeless paper and still going to use paper plates My Choice and you can do as you see fit for you and yours :)

x_3d759b92 photo x_3d759b92.gif

#5270586 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Paper companies grow most of their own trees for their paper products. Try doing some searches, there’s a little test  at Paper Because….Paper: Truth or Fiction ?

Terry

#5270590 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Just read that Terry…. I will keep recycling….

#5270591 Report Abuse
    Resa_NS
    Resa_NS
    Participant

hush-hush?? Hope the hackers don’t get a hold of that secret, we will really be in deep Caca!!!!!! ;)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Resa_NS Resa_NS.
    #5270594 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Sharon….Nothing’s wrong with recycling, it helps paper companies with their production projects, they buy up much of the recycled paper :-) The new forest they do plant helps clean the air, the young trees do that. Walmart is  big on  recycling, I can’t imagine how many cardboard bales I made in my eight years working there.  There’s just a lot of “myths” about paper companies, I like to get the facts about things :-)

Terry

#5270596 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Thanks Terry, me too…. and Resa, yep that would be a lot of caca..lolol

#5270598 Report Abuse

Iambanned
    Participant

I don;t do for me and mine.  I do for mine and theirs and the future generations.  We have to start somewhere.

Please list your facts and the information you are researching Surfer.  I live in a pulp town and would love to see what you have been reading about pulp and recycling.

I read everything I can get my hands on and the facts are, we are running out of room to put our garbage.  Find me something that says that is a falsehood so I can sleep at night

#5270599 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I saw something about the tubeless rolls just recently & thought it was a good idea till you brought up the fact about what happens when you get to the end of the roll.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270608 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Lambanned…You can start by doing a search for  “do paper companies plant trees for their paper products”, there are many pages on that topic. I  listed a simple test that is located at ….Paper Because…..Paper: Truth or Fiction  on the first page of the above :-) I like to sort out the truth from fiction when I can. Like when it was posted here that WD-40 can be used for a body rub :lol:

International Paper mill is located 2.5 miles west of our property and some 2,000 acres of theirs is around us. My wife’s office supply company(works there) buys  some paper direct from the mill and saves their customers a bundle.

We don’t hunt on our property or fish in our creek, most of the critters have a safe place to live  here  with us.

I forgot…Methane is already a byproduct in land fills and cattle. They are digging up the landfills, using the combustibles to make steam to drive the electric generators that were made here. They are also recycling the metals and other materials to keep from having to use up more raw materials.  I got out of the business in ’97. There  are also test being done to launch  trash into space. This means that the trash isn’t being piled up at the old rate, some of it is now being dug up :-)

Terry

#5270613 Report Abuse

Maurmaur_westcolo
    Participant

we have a bidet and you still need to wipe

#5270639 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I’m guessing the hush-hush process may have something to do with an inflatable roller (size of the present toilet paper roll) that is inflated while the paper is wrapped on the roller and then once the paper is cut, the roller deflates, so the rolls can be removed, leaving the center size the same shape as if a cardboard paper roll was inside.

#5270643 Report Abuse

Iambanned
    Participant

uh… Surferdude… not sure if you noticed or not but that site you listed is a Domtar site. HUGE pulp producer that isn’t actually unbiased.

I was looking for research that is a little more scientific, from a non-industry interest, and not cherry-picked to boost their side.

Yes the pulp companies replant but they can not replant it all, and it takes a number of years before the trees grow big enough to use. This is all beside the point and I think people are missing the point.

Instead of worrying about what to do with something after we’ve already wasted it, I am saying lets try not to waste.

I am not trying to dismiss what you say, but there are no facts here and no sources

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.