THRIFTY THURSDAY: Which Seeds Give You the Most Bang for your Buck?

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds THRIFTY THURSDAY: Which Seeds Give You the Most Bang for your Buck?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by pwooly pwooly 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Welcome to Thrifty Thursday! This week, let’s talk seeds: what are the best seeds you’ve ever bought? I’m talking about the ones that produced unbelievably well, or keep re-seeding year after year. For me, that would be my native Indian Blanket seeds (Gaillardia pulchella). I bought one small packet of this annual wildflower 7 years ago, and they re-seed each year faithfully giving me lots of color from late winter into summer here in Florida, without being annoyingly invasive or difficult to manage.

What about you? What seeds have been the best investment for you over the years?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5098478 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Well Jill these didn’t start from seeds but they do reseed each year so I guess that counts. My bee balm came to me from a company (don’t even remember for sure which one but I’m kinda leaning toward Parks Seed) as a really small potted plant. Now they have spread and come back every year from both seeds and roots. I have them in an area where they can’t spread more than I want them to and without  a doubt they are a hummer magnet.

Also I did start my 4 o’clocks  from seed I think it was 3 years ago and they reseed themselves and are a very welcome addition to my garden.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5098540 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I have one standby annual that I grow every year and have since we owned our greenhouse over 20 years ago.  It is the Boy Series of Marigolds.  The are a French Marigold that are 10-12″ tall with large blooms.

I love to start Marigolds as they are always so dependable with germination.  I have been saving the seed each year and replanting them and they are as beautiful as always from year to year.  They can be used in containers as well a bedding plants.  They do need to be deadheaded but that is the only draw back I find with them.  They are a full sun flower but do preform well for me even in partial shade.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5098565 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

There are several but I’ll go with these three.

Cosmos, they are the gift that keeps on giving. (Sometimes too much)  Cleome falls into that category too (once I actually got it started)  And Hardy Hibiscus that are really pretty & come back every year w/o much fuss.

Cosmos

Cleome

I say Hardy Hibiscus because even though they don’t re-seed exactly you can gather seeds & plant more.  They are so pretty & come back every year.

These were grown from seed

Luna

Texas Star

And this one came from a pkt that said mixed Disco Belle Hibiscus

Then there are those that do a little TOO well if you know what I mean.  In my yard that would be red saliva, white daisies & yellow daisies.   If you can keep them controlled they are definitely Bang for Your Buck

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5098821 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Marigolds would be my first choice.  They are so easy to germinate, and boy are they hardy.

Last year I tried Zahara zinnias.  I’m sure by now you must be tired of hearing about them.  They are such a pretty flower and my goodness….no trouble germinating and growing to be a nice plant…not to mention the pretty blooms I had decorating the flower beds.

A close up!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5099001 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

They are pretty Stella.  I think I have some seeds around here for them  If not, I need to get some.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5099301 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Because of pictures and seeds shared from friends on this board….I am sold on Profusion Zinnias…..I do have to save seed to start the next year, but they are easy to grow.  Very little deadheading involved…and a great variety of colors.

They make a great border plant and are beautiful combined with the already mentioned faithful Marigolds.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5099322 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

So many that were shared from friends right here. Priceless because of the friendships made here. Yvonne’s Salvia,Irish eyes rudbeckia,
    and purple,white,and pink crego asters to name a few off the top of my head. They were a great gift that keeps on giving every year.

If I get a chance I’ll try to add pictures here. They are beautiful.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5099782 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Verbena Rigida is sure easy to grow..Larkspur another one

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5100218 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I was trying to add some pics and it went poof into cyberspace.  I’ll try again.

Asters from Charlene

Yvonne’s Salvia from Kathy along with the flower friends who are responsible for starting my addiction to seed starting and sharing.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6.
    #5100236 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Since I can’t post pictures I just have to say…all of the above and then some. Other than larkspur that for some reason fizzled out last year after self sowing for several years.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5100268 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

So many of the things already mentioned have been good for me, too.  I will add forget-me-nots to the mix.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5111101 Report Abuse
    Dundrumgal
    Dundrumgal
    Participant

I planted Forget-me-nots several years ago and they were so invasive and took over the whole garden!!!   had to get someone to come over and dig them all out.

#5111130 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

I would have to say my Creeping Thyme is the best.  It keeps right on spreading year after year.  I do plant new seedlings when it looks like I have a bare spot, but that is not often as a plant or two may die out after three years.  The smell of it when it starts to bloom is wonderful.

Grows between cracks and crevices too.

As you can see it has seeded itself on the ground below the railroad ties in stone, and it is starting to spread down the slope.  It is starting to fill in where the grass grows down the slope.  I want it to do that.  I would not mind if it takes over the whole area.

This is a large area, and all this from a couple of plants I bought and some seedlings I planted for maybe a total of 10 bucks altogether.  What a deal!  And it smells great too.

pwooly
    pwooly
    Participant

Great post – I’m getting ideas. I need reliable reseeding plants. In my garden, I would say my titania. I got them from Leroy here a couple of years ago. This year’s seeds will be my 3rd generation! They’re gorgeous…. :)

It’s some work as they need to be deadheaded for continuous bloom-it’s a butterfly/bee/hummer magnet. Praying mantis like to hang out in them too, I’ve noticed. (I move them to another area because they are predators to the pollinators….).

The picture on my avatar is from the first generation Leroy sent me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.