Third trip bird watching/photography June 17

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Third trip bird watching/photography June 17

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Stelios Stelios 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I know some of you mentioned that you were interested in seeing some of the places I am trying to get pictures of birds….Like I said trying.  Well today was not that great….with one exception.  Guess what that was!!!!!!

I invited my neighbor, who does not drive, to come along with me.  It’s nice to have company along.  Two pairs of eyes are better than one.  The first stop was at an old mill that is still in use.  They grind flour like in the olden days…wheat germ and all.  Adjacent to the mill is a river.  This water comes from the Laurentian Mountains.  It is very murky at this time of year.  This mill was build by a Polish count who immigrated to this area, which is called St. Eustache.  I wanted to take a picture of the mansion, but the city was decorating the entire street for the St. Jean the Baptiste national holiday of Quebec.

This is the river……from one side.

The mill…It is the original.  They keep trying to keep it as nice as possible.

Another angle with the wheel….

The wheel they used to grind the wheat…

The murky water…..

The old bridge to cross from one side to the other….very old….

Just across the mill is an old Anglican Church.  This is a predominantly French area.  So an Anglican Church was the only one in the area.  There was a much larger RC church just down the street.  Now it is used for cultural arts..i.e. music, etc.

This is a heritage site as you can see by the sign…..

On to the next site…..It’s part of the Lake of Two Mountains.  There are so many tiny islands.  I was hoping to see species of birds that are different from the ones at my feeders, but we were not so lucky…with the exception of one…..guess what it is?

As you can see by the sign, the word Bienvenue means Welcome…

To get to one island from another, we had to cross small bridges.

Little did we know that this was an affluent condo area with their own private water fountain adjacent to the body of water.  A resident of that area took her imported dog for a walk and made a point to say that it was private property.  Of course there was no sign.  So we stayed and I took pictures.  Sometimes money does not breed culture…hmmm.

I’m afraid the only birds you’ll see are ducks….LOL and geese….

Now for the surprise…..Yes, there was a birdhouse for swallows.  I finally had my fix.  Some of you know that swallows are my very favorite bird.  Here is their home.  Of course I scared them off when I ran up to take their picture….LOl  They must have been wondering who was the big mouth….LOL

Off I drove to our own town train station….

So ends our journey….

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5154714 Report Abuse
    Gitti Z5
    Gitti Z5
    Participant

Stella, I enjoy your Pictures and Story. Thanks for sharing…Gitti

photo signature_1_zps17dbf24d.gif

#5154745 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Wow ~!!!!! you had a great trip… I love all the pics… the grinding mill is really neat… and yep you got birds.. love the houses… you did good…. thanks for the trip.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5155206 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

What a fun day you must have had, Stella.  Great pictures!  And interesting history.

I love that you are taking us all with you on these trips.  And we get to see some very charming areas of Quebec.   Thank you for sharing the pictures.

#5155700 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Great pics!  Enjoyed your tour!  What a beautiful area!   I studied a lot of French in hs & college so I could read & understand the French on those signs!  I guess you must have to know some French living there!

#5155711 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Yes Margba….You have to be bilingual to live here.  I worked mostly in French.  I don’t have a problem as I learned the language in Belgium and continued going to school for another year here in Montreal.  I then switched to English education.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.