There Is Still Hope For Spring

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat There Is Still Hope For Spring

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Even if you are currently still in Winter mode, this proves Spring Will Arrive.

I usually walk around the yard every morning once the weather gets nice & I started that this morning.  Pleasantly surprised at what I see, especially with this latest cold snap.  Some of this I knew but some I just discovered this morning.

Plants are blooming in the GH; Lantana & Gerbera Daisies, other plants in there are getting their leaves back.

The Japanese Rose has bloom buds showing color, clematis are growing, Phlox, Lilies & Coneflowers are popping up all over the place.  And Charlene , I saw Poppies this morning (phew) .  Surprise Lily foliage up which it didn’t come up last year at all.

Peonies up about a foot.  I moved half a dozen of them out of the back bed last Fall as they were not blooming there & I see two more coming up in there this morning.  I moved one to the fence & tried to move another one that was coming up right against a Foxglove but broke it off by accident.  Oh well, if it pops back up, I’ll try again.  I see what I think are Lily of the Valley coming up .  The Foxglove, Silver Mound, Nicotania  & Mexican Hat plants all made it through the winter.

I planted a new flower last Fall called  Ipheion last year.  It is a small plant with little individual star shaped flowers.  I see one blooming this morning & some more with buds.   Unfortunately no sign of the Wood Hyacinths in that same bed.

But I do have Woodland Phlox getting ready to bloom & Solomon Seal coming up, also Oxalis, Liatris & Crinium.  No sign of the Hardy Hibiscus yet.

The Pieris is getting new leaves; they are such a pretty red; now I hope it will bloom this year. It hasn’t yet.  Also hoping the tree wisteria blooms this year for 1st time.  It has buds but can’t tell if leaf or flower.

All the trees & shrubs are starting to leaf out or at least have buds.   And then there are the  Spring blooms like  Daffodils, Tulips & Grape Hyacinth.  I see a few blooms opening on my creeping Phlox this morning too.

So, see there is HOPE.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5133699 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I have about all of the same things blooming or coming up here too Gayle. I am amazed that some of the peonies already have buds on them!  These two were on the side of the workshop where that miserable cold wind didn’t get them. The others are more out in the open so they are coming up but no sign of buds yet. I am glad your solomon’s seal is coming up, mine is about ready to bloom if it hasn’t this morning. That is also in a more protected place.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5133726 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Well…..I have crocus and tulips up….lol.

Gayle…so happy to hear your poppies are growing.  For those plants that don’t bloom for you, I wonder if it may be your lack of nitrogen in your soil.  If so, now when they are leafing out is the time to fertilize them.  It may encourage blooms and a healthier plant….and healthier plants have more and prettier flowers.

Thanks for the “walk about”.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5133805 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I noticed I have CLUSTERS of poppies up about 8-10 inches back against my fence, very crowded too but I’m not fooling with trying to dig them up and transplant because they’d probably croak on me. LOL Liatris was just showing green one night, look going out the gate the next day and they were up an inch. Blew me away they grew that big overnight. Spring bulbs are kinda dying down here after that freeze this week.

#5133807 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Plants blooming here now include ragged robin, columbine, perennial bachelor buttons, snow in summer, sweet william, ajuga, gaillardia, scabiosa, spiderwort, irises.

Buds on knockout rose, foxglove, a gerbera,.

Most things are up or at least showing signs of life. I don’t see any life on the butterfly weed though so I’ll miss the monarchs if they don’t come back because I didn’t start any more. Guess I’ll have to be happy with the Gulf fritillaries since I did see a passion vine.

Gayle, I damaged a plant too.  I didn’t notice that the 3 hibiscus were coming up near the porch until I had sort of stepped on 2 of them when i was painting. But the largest one is ok and I think the other 2 might put out new sprouts.

And the weeds are working overtime!

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5133823 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

It’s in the 70′s today. My lilac and trees are sprouting their leaves now and my pretty poppy is pretty big now. Butterfly bush is always the last to get green, dug up my very first one because I thought it was dead. Need to get out and rake up more leaves, started last week and it turned nasty that day.

#5133837 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Charlene,, remember I had my soil tested a couple of years ago (maybe 3) & it had NO Nitrogen at all.  Then, on advice from here I added cow manure to my beds & that made a big difference the following year.  I had things coming up & blooming that never even popped through before.  LOL  So I’ve been using cow manure ever since.  I alternate between front beds & back.

Some of my problems are shade & tree roots & the poor wisteria tree has been moved a couple of times.  The peonies I mentioned were right next to the woods so tree roots there & I think I had them planted too deep.  They are coming up nicely in their new home so we’ll see what happens now.

Leslie ,working in one of the beds Wed.  I saw my oleander putting up a new shoot.  I was so happy because there is no sign of the other one & both have been struggling.  So what did I do?  Stepped on it as I was walking back to the compost pile.  :(   I propped it back up & hoping it will grow some more.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5133861 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Hope springs eternal.

I have tulips and iris poking their tips through. Pyrethrum, one of my early blooming perennials, is showing it’s green.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.