There is beauty all around….NO more lawn mowing!!!!

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat There is beauty all around….NO more lawn mowing!!!!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I am guessing you all think I am about to post a picture of dead grass, but quite the contrary.

A retired archaeologist bought a house in our neighboring town.  He changed the look of the yard considerably.  It has taken 3 years….and a lot of back breaking work….but here is his answer to eliminating mowing grass……don’t have any….lol

This is the front of his house (north): rocks and a few shrubs

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is his side yard (east)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And his back yard (south)

This is his west boundary….the grass you see is on his neighbor’s property

I thought Bette would appreciate all of the work he put into moving these rocks here and piling them up so neatly.

I can’t say it is my favorite, but certainly interesting.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5277406 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I like a little rock but this is just toooooooooo much, lol.

Very interesting, thanks for posting it.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5277409 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well sure not my style… to me no bigger than the yard was, he surely could have found someone to mow it…. its kind of ugly..lol

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5277416 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Whoa.  That’s crazy!  I like rocks but come on!  I can’t imagine cleaning them out from debris. Of course you don’t have as many trees there, but still!  I have a small rock area under the deck and it’s a mess constantly from leaves falling and blowing.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5277423 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I’ll take mowing grass anytime over that “beauty”

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5277426 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Not my thing either.  Some of the waterfront homes here (and a lot of them in Fla.) have gravel yards & they look a lot better than that.

A house around the corner from me has a small grass front yard & then his whole back yard is gravel.  A little different  but looks OK if that’s your thing.

My answer to less grass cutting is more flower beds.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5277427 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Oh, and there is a house in the other direction from me that has left the back yard grass & the front is gravel but it is landscaped with ornaments & potted plants & looks pretty good.  I’ll have to get a picture of it sometime.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5277428 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Oh Charlene your yard is beautiful, his is ugggggggggggggghhhhhh……but all the neighbors won’t have to worry about snakes, rats etc anymore…they will all be stashed in his rocks….

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5277430 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Now that is a LOT of rocks, did he really have to go that high in many places. It looks like he is trying to keep people from looking at him….To each his own. I prefer to look at your gardens Charlene.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5277431 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

I personally can take the front and the south….but tooooo much of a good thing ??  It makes me tired  just thinking of all the work oN this “project”.   Why?????   Not even some potted annuals ??… 

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by ili Z.9 ili Z.9.
    #5277440 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

That is a little bit much, but if one does not want to grow grass to mow then each to his own.  I think he has built himself a snake pit though, so good luck with not getting those varmints coming around…LOL.

plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I think he used this kind of rock rather than gravel since it is free from farmers……every farmer has several rock piles by their fence lines that they “pick” from their fields every Spring.  I guess it is his version of going “native”….lol.  I am not sure where he got the huge boulders….or how he transported them.  Yes, lots of work indeed.

Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5277502 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I agree that it is ugly and like Janet I see a place for a LOT of snakes to hide. I much prefer to see a few weeds in the flowers to that but to each his own I guess, I am sure glad he doesn’t live near me.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5277507 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I think it was probably more work in those years of hauling rocks, than a lifetime of mowing.

It needs some pots of flowers!

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5277518 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

I like  using rocks in the yard, but that’s way too many.  I like seeing green, not rocks.

Carol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.