There is beauty all around…nature discoveries in my yard this week

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat There is beauty all around…nature discoveries in my yard this week

This topic contains 29 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I often get so busy deadheading and weeding that I forget to notice some of the true wonders of nature right under my nose.

This is the 1st year that I have seen monarch cats….and I have seen about 6 of them this year.  They are partial to the Pink Swamp milkweed, but I did capture one on the Orange Asclepias

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a new bug in my yard…..and I have millions of them!  They do not seem to be doing any harm to the plants, but they certainly are every where.  Any one know what this is?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This was my BIGGEST discovery….a honey bee nest hanging right above my rock garden.  DH wants to knock it down, but I told him to leave it alone.  He wouldn’t have even seen it if I hadn’t pointed it out to him.  They are doing more good than harm.

This is the size of a volleyball

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please share any Nature discoveries in your yard.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278747 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

Good morning Charlene.  enjoyed your lovely photos of your yard, flowers, etc.  Pretty monarch.  

Sorry, can’t help with the id of the bug.

Yikes, hope those bees are used to seeing you in your garden, and you don’t get stung. yes, they are beneficial for pollination of our plants.    Hope you have a nice, safe weekend.

#5278752 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I’m going to have to go look for things such as this but it will be tomorrow.  Lucky you with the bee hive.  Just don’t rile them up & get stung.

I’ve seen those bugs somewhere (here on the board , I think) but don’t remember what they are.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5278756 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Nice photos Charlene.

I had those bugs all over the plants at my last house every year and I don’t think they did any harm. I hope someone can ID them so I will know what they are if they come here.

I think I got all the wasp nests here and there were many of them!

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5278767 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Charlene that is a yellow jackets nest. Most of the time they build in the ground (like in my yard this summer) but sometimes they do make a nest like the one in your tree. Get rid of that nest !!!!!!!! As fall approaches those things get meaner and meaner. You’ll be very lucky if you don’t get stung if you even get close to that nest as fall approaches.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5278768 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

If you notice, many of those bugs are “piggy back”.  I think I know what they are doing.(insert blushing face)  I know Stella would nip that in the bud, but since they aren’t doing any harm, I figure just let them do their thing….lol.

The bees do not bother me at all and the nest is high enough that I would need a very big stick to disturb it.  They also are just doing their thing.  Right now they are savoring the Joe Pye weed and the Autumn Joy sedum….those 2 are their favorites.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278769 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Charlene I hate to bust your bubble but I do believe that is a hornet’s nest and if so, RUN CHARLENE RUN! If he had knocked it down they would have attacked him (Thank You God he didn’t) because they can sting continuously as they roll down your body). I scraped one off an outhouse at my granny’s when I was a kid after papaw took a rag on a stick dipped in kerosine and smoked them out for my 4th grade science class. NASTY BOOGERS THEY ARE!

I think that bug is a goldenrod soldier beetle. They just live off the nectar of the flowers but their larva are beneficial in that they eat other bad bugs.

#5278780 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Del….I checked out pics on the internet and I do believe you are right about it not being a honey bee nest.  The strange thing is…..the bees look just like honey bees and they fly from the Sedum and Joe Pye weed directly to the nest.  I guess I’d better put out a cry for help to Ron the go to man….lol.  I certainly would feel terrible if they stung DGS when helping me in the yard.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278782 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Charlene I think we posted before about the same time and you might have missed my reply about your nest being yellow jackets. If your plays in the area for sure get rid of that nest. If I remember correctly Ron  wrote something about those things some time ago and he too mentioned about how mean they get in the fall.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5278784 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

Charlene, Tim says it is a paper Wasp nest.  They are very mean and will sting and then sting again, over and over again.  I enlarged the picture and the “bee” on the nest is a wasp.  Lair

#5278785 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Steve….I did miss your reply.  They are not yellow jackets…..they are much smaller than a yellow jacket….we also have yellow jackets here.

I think Lair and Tim are right….the info I found says they look like yellow jackets only much smaller and more docile….which these are.  The images of the nests looks identical to the one I have in my tree.  I guess I need to google how to get rid of the nest without being attacked.

I guess my nature discoveries is not as exciting as I thought….LOL  I did email Ron….he will probably confirm what Tim and Lair said.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5278796 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Do BEEEEEE careful!

Might be time to check with a professional.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5278803 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Your best defense to remove these is to do it at night. All the bees will be inside the nest. If it were me: I would first try to see how this nest was attached to the tree. Look to see if it’s hung by one stem or attached by a large area on a limb. I’d first remove all the branches around the nest without disturbing it; this might have to be done on a separate night. I’d put on a long sleeved hooded sweatshirt with the draw strings pulled tight so not much of my face was exposed, long pants, and gloves that were flexible, but would prevent a sting penetration. I’d have a thin plastic drawstring garbage bag? or some sort of light plastic bag big enough to go up around the nest without disturbing/bumping the nest. I’d inspect the bag and make sure it has NO HOLES in it if it’s a store bag. Once the bag is around the nest I would QUICKLY close the bag round where the nest is attached to the tree, and break it free from the tree. I would make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the bag would stay closed and no bees could escape. This is where full body clothing comes in handy just in case you have some escapees. If the nest comes off cleanly, I’d just give the bag a quick twirl to seal any escape and go back down the ladder. I’d then secure the bag top so no bees can escape by tying a knot if possible or wrapping tape around it. Pulling the drawstring tight might not work as they might be able to still get out. You might want to double bag if for safety sake. How this nest is attached to the tree is what they need to determine first. If it isn’t attached by much, that would be great. If there is a limb involved that would have to be cut off or broken off depending on size once you have the nest bagged. It may not look like many bees, but there could be hundreds in there.

I had an empty yellow jacket nest in my garage that I took down this spring. It was about the same size as yours. I spent most of last summer sucking those things up in a shop vac. while standing on a ladder. They were going in at three different places, so it was a challenge. I know my garage, and knew I couldn’t go up there to remove the nest. I counted every time one was sucked into the extension on the vac. tube. I was out there several days a week for over a month; I kept writing down my count each day. At the end I had about a 1,000 and that doesn’t include the ones that went into the pop bottle beer traps that I hung on the garage eves. In researching how to make my own traps I also found out that yellow jackets will attack a honeybee hive and kill the workers. They bring the dead bee’s abdomen back to the nest to feed their own larva. That put me on a mission to destroy the yellow jacket. I used to see lots of honeybees around here, but now I rarely see even one. I do have lots of bumble bees though.

I was up in the garage this spring, and took a flashlight with me. I went looking for that nest. I found the yellow jacket nest hanging on the wall, and it wasn’t an easy scrape off. I also discovered the one that had been built several years before that; it was hung in a tiny area of the side rafter, but I couldn’t get to that. We had sprayed stuff in that hole and they had to crawl through it to get in, so that eventually killed them all.

If you have binoculars, see if you can see how the nest is attached. That’s where you start making plans from. If this is too high up, I guess that will dictate where you go from there.

#5278812 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Very neat about your cats!  I used to get a lot of them around my old place!  Too bad its not a honey bee hive! Not sure what a honey bee hive actually looks like in the wild!  I would hire a prof to remove that!  Do not attempt yourself!  Lol!  Neat looking, though!

#5278813 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Oh, and I believe the other bug is some sort of yellow jacket or wasp kind of thing!  Dont get it mad!  Haha!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.